PDA

View Full Version : oil on new cylinder gasket.

marc69
20-12-13, 10:28 PM
I put a new cylinder head gasket on my 1.3SR a few months ago however I have noticed this small oil leak over the last few weeks. I have cleaned it and then checked so this is it after a weeks running, you'll see it just below the head on the actual gasket on the corner.
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/69marc/Photo636_zpsc2c4dc98.jpg

It's not mch but shouldn't do this at all. I did try to be careful when I replaced the head with torque wrench settings etc.

Is there any short cut or is it a a complete head removal/clean up etc again?

andy_mk3
21-12-13, 12:18 AM
Looks like the cam cover is leaking to me as well. It wan't properly washing off then you can see where it's actually coming from. If you remove the head then it's new gasket and bolts all over again.

meritlover
21-12-13, 09:48 AM
cam carrier surfaces leaking, rocker gasket or distributer o-ring seeping

marc69
21-12-13, 11:59 AM
A new rocker went on and no oil has dripped down since so it's not that, I'll look at the dizzy oring, when you say cam carrier surfaces leaking, I would need to remove the head bolts to put in a new gasket?

There seems to be no oil above this point, I'll check again to day but it seems to be coming from inside out if that makes sense.

bazil
21-12-13, 12:37 PM
To remove the cam carrier you need to remove the head bolts yes so new head gasket again

In all my years I have never used a gasket between the cam carrier and cylinder head, blue hylomar is used

marc69
21-12-13, 12:56 PM
I don't even know what hylomar is.............

Well if it means a whole new gasket and head removal again etc, there is no way I can face doing all that again! it will have to go as it is for the moment and I'll jst keep an eye on it, I assume so long as it doesn't start losing serious oil it is quite safe?

bazil
21-12-13, 01:02 PM
Hylomar comes in a tube and forms an oil resistant seal between 2 metal surfaces, vauxhall do a tube of green stuff which is awesome stuff but I cant remember the name of it but I used it on my 17dti to seal the oil pump

Audi use a different sealant designed specifically for sealling alloy to cast and its used between the block and alloy sump with no gasket used at all,

You might not loose a lot of oil but it will make a right mess over time

marc69
21-12-13, 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll check around it all today when I work up enough courage to face the elements.

If it's not going to do any harm then I'll live with the small bit of oil and give it a wee wipe every so often.