PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein shocks

EwanG
19-12-13, 07:56 PM
Hi, Are the black bilstein shocks on ebay any good? For £150 I can buy a full set, if these are any good what springs can I buy to suit them?

bazil
19-12-13, 07:59 PM
Edd says no,

B6 are ment to be good replacements and can retain standard height springs iirc

EwanG
19-12-13, 08:03 PM
Edd says no,

B6 are ment to be good replacements and can retain standard height springs iirc
They say in the listing that they are good for -40mm springs? I am in two minds if I should lower the sr but if I do I will want new or like new shocks/springs -40mm.

Vlietje
19-12-13, 08:04 PM
Don't go Bilstein B4 mate. If you want to use Billies, go for the B6's or even better the B8's. They use the upside-down setup. B6 combined with Eibach pro-kit spring is the best set-up for a Nova imo.

Vlietje
19-12-13, 08:06 PM
They say in the listing that they are good for -40mm springs? I am in two minds if I should lower the sr but if I do I will want new or like new shocks/springs -40mm.

Bilstein quote B6 are for -30mm and B8 up to -50mm as they use a shortened shocker.

EwanG
19-12-13, 08:08 PM
Don't go Bilstein B4 mate. If you want to use Billies, go for the B6's or even better the B8's. They use the upside-down setup. B6 combined with Eibach pro-kit spring is the best set-up for a Nova imo.
Thanks for the advise :). What is the cost for this setup in the uk? I dont want to spend loads on suspension to only do 600 miles a year. I dont rag my nova like I did with my old one when I was 17! I drive like a grandad now lol

Vlietje
19-12-13, 08:25 PM
Try LMF: http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Bilstein-B12-Kit-Corsa-B-and-Nova.html

Or try Courtenay: http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/buy-online/shop-by-category/suspension-anti-roll-bars/suspension-kits/premium-suspension-kit-nova/corsa-b/tigra-a/prod_91.html

EwanG
19-12-13, 08:30 PM
Try LMF: http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Bilstein-B12-Kit-Corsa-B-and-Nova.html

Or try Courtenay: http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/buy-online/shop-by-category/suspension-anti-roll-bars/suspension-kits/premium-suspension-kit-nova/corsa-b/tigra-a/prod_91.html
Cheers for the link but £600 is too much for a nova that sits idle for many months. I might have to look for a secondhand kit at a reasonable price.

Edd
19-12-13, 08:31 PM
Don't get the black ones

Utter crap, I had 3 sets on warranty

Get the yellow ones

EwanG
19-12-13, 09:04 PM
Don't get the black ones

Utter crap, I had 3 sets on warranty

Get the yellow ones
Hi Edd. I am not a cheapskate. But want a reasonable suspension kit under £300 and drive like a grandad. Is this possible? I think I need to go second hand.

nova_niek
19-12-13, 09:20 PM
Back in the day I bought a full set of black Bilsteins for my GSi. They are utter ****e. Harsh damping, zero comfort, definitely NOT worth their money. :mad:

As said, get the yellow ones (B8 or B12 sportpack) and you're sorted. A couple of years ago I fitted B12's with Eibach springs to a BMW E30 and it totally transformed the car. Excellent damping and superb handling. Before that, I owned Vlietje's China Blue Mk1 which was on yellow Bilsteins and this too handled like a dream. Hope this helps.

Damoh
19-12-13, 09:24 PM
Only evey had yellow ones b6 if i rember and eibach -30mm springs on my corsa sport,felt like was standard but handled really nice and just low enough even for the "mountains" they call ramps around here

bazil
19-12-13, 09:53 PM
My mate changed from spax RSX to B6 and eibach on his mk2 astra turbo and loves it, far more comfortable and yet still sporty without being hard or crashy on a -40 drop

sport
19-12-13, 10:06 PM
The black Bilsteins are rubbish, yellows are best but as a compromise on price i bought the Bilstein power kit (shocks and springs) think its listed as b10 kit for the sprint and think its great for the money at just under £400.

Damoh
20-12-13, 09:36 AM
Just a quick one while on subject,would the b6 with eibachs be ok for 20xe convesion or should i go gaz coil overs or avo coilovers

Benn
20-12-13, 10:07 AM
I had the black ones (street line kit iirc) on a 1.4 lumped SR, loved it. Run it for about 3years, loved the way it handled.

Maybe i had a different kit to everyone else.

Jack
20-12-13, 11:19 AM
I thought the black ones were supposed to be OEM spec, possibly slightly stiffer?

nova_niek
23-12-13, 07:30 AM
I thought the black ones were supposed to be OEM spec, possibly slightly stiffer?

Yes - that's how I got the black ones for my GSi. I was told they'd be a suitable replacement for the worn out OEM shockers. Right...

Tim Harpley
23-12-13, 10:48 AM
Anyone tried an Apex kit? just over £300 from LMF two kits available lowering either 40 or 60mm.
Looked on their website been making springs since the 80s, springs have a 5 year guarantee, they match them with an updated shortened damper.

Sola
26-12-13, 10:11 PM
I've got the black Bilstein B4 shocks all round on my Nova. Fitted with Eibach Sportline springs brought the car down about 30mm and drives okay.

Fair enough though, it does about 1000 summer miles a year, but after two years, they're still fine.

phunkynova
27-12-13, 08:26 AM
Anyone tried an Apex kit? just over £300 from LMF two kits available lowering either 40 or 60mm.
Looked on their website been making springs since the 80s, springs have a 5 year guarantee, they match them with an updated shortened damper.

You'll tend to find cheap kits like Apex are cheap and nasty and a waste of money.

dionbee
27-12-13, 12:19 PM
I've also had the Black on my nova for a while, handled brilliant, and had no problems. Sold the car and bought another set for my new nova until i could afford the yellow kit.

for the price of black go fot it. Try Motorsport-tools.com for a price. they are bery competitive

Dion.