PDA

View Full Version : Coilover question?

Damo
15-12-13, 07:35 PM
Hi guys got a slight issue with my front coilovers on the nova i carnt run them with my speedlines on. Ive removed the helper springs but its still not enougth i need another 10-15mm or so an ive been racking my brain over what to do somebodys suggested cutting a coil or two off my coilver spring an grinding the base flat so it sits correctly whats others opinions on this has anybody done this?

Damo.

Johnny A
15-12-13, 07:46 PM
Buy shorter coilover springs

Benn
16-12-13, 10:05 AM
Do you know what ID the spings are? You might have the larger id, where as you want the smaller ones.

Iain
16-12-13, 10:25 AM
Shorter springs if there's enough thread to put the platform over the tyre, as Johnny said.

mowgli
16-12-13, 06:53 PM
shorter springs or wheel spacers..

therealnovaboy
16-12-13, 07:37 PM
shorter springs or wheel spacers..

as above you can get an size spring you want. Its not good practice to cut them as you will change the poundage.

another way is to change the camber to a more positive camber buy notching the top hole on the shock where it bolts to the hub. If you already run concentric top mounts you can adjust them to the correct camber. If it was me Id tack a washer over the hub/shock hole so it doesnt move. If you dont have concentric top mounts just use a big washer or concentric camber bolts and slot the top mount to strutt top holes to adjust the camber back.

Damo
17-12-13, 09:46 AM
benn, not sure on the id im going to measure them today an see.

iain, theres plenty of room over the tyre to have the platform higher up so im looking into shorter springs but what poundage spring am i best with i dont track it i just use it to work an back but it has 20xe fitted.

Damo.

Iain
17-12-13, 10:11 AM
as above you can get an size spring you want. Its not good practice to cut them as you will change the poundage.

another way is to change the camber to a more positive camber buy notching the top hole on the shock where it bolts to the hub. If you already run concentric top mounts you can adjust them to the correct camber. If it was me Id tack a washer over the hub/shock hole so it doesnt move. If you dont have concentric top mounts just use a big washer or concentric camber bolts and slot the top mount to strutt top holes to adjust the camber back.

You don't really want to be changing the camber for clearance rather than handling benefits though do you really.

benn, not sure on the id im going to measure them today an see.

iain, theres plenty of room over the tyre to have the platform higher up so im looking into shorter springs but what poundage spring am i best with i dont track it i just use it to work an back but it has 20xe fitted.

Damo.

Same poundage as what you've got but a few inches shorter if you're happy how it is, 275-300 maybe?

Damo
17-12-13, 10:24 AM
Not sure what poundage springs are on at the min tbh iain they were what came with the coilovers when i bought them.

Damo
17-12-13, 11:35 AM
right just measured them theyve got an internal diameter of 2.25in and are 8in long so im gunna need 6in by my reckoning the coilovers are ta technics one so really could do with finding out the poundage i have now so i get the right ones. also would it matter what make spring i get as long as its a 2.25in id?

Damo.

Iain
17-12-13, 01:10 PM
Any make should be fine, chances are if they're just original springs they're not that suitable to an XE weight anyway so just pick your poundage and order some

therealnovaboy
17-12-13, 07:34 PM
You don't really want to be changing the camber for clearance rather than handling benefits though do you really.

your not effecting the handling if you re adjust the camber again at the top of the strut.