PDA

View Full Version : how do you insure a nova sport?

therealnovaboy
14-12-13, 09:20 PM
Was just thinking what a nova sport is insured as. If its on the V5 as a nova base do you just insure it as a 1.3 base without mention of the webers, or do you have to declare them as a mod?

Royston
14-12-13, 09:23 PM
Webers fitted as standard (could argue the high lift cam ) so not a mod

Never been an issue getting insurance, mine on a classic policy with all modifications declared (over the carbs, etc)

meritlover
14-12-13, 10:16 PM
i thought they werent fitted as standard. Were the carbs not left in the boot for you to fit yourself?

therealnovaboy
14-12-13, 10:26 PM
Webers fitted as standard (could argue the high lift cam ) so not a mod

Never been an issue getting insurance, mine on a classic policy with all modifications declared (over the carbs, etc)

So is it insured as a sport or a nova base?

bazil
14-12-13, 11:00 PM
Agreed value ftw

therealnovaboy
14-12-13, 11:19 PM
The reason i ask is. what would the insurance be on a nova sr with a 1.3 nova base engine fitted. i wonder if you would get away with not declaring the webbers?

Novasport
14-12-13, 11:26 PM
Most insurers go off the reg number. I think they were only insurance group 3 or 5(On the old rating system)

therealnovaboy
14-12-13, 11:33 PM
If you cant tell its a genuine sport without the letter from Andrew Durden. the insurance company cant tell its not just nova base with a single choke carb.

Royston
15-12-13, 07:54 AM
Nova SR's had a single or twin choke carb, and were never fitted with twin forties, so would be a modfication.

I had a twin choke weber on mine, declared which had little or no loading (it was a direct replacement, but much better in reality)

therealnovaboy
15-12-13, 08:11 AM
So if I were to put a nova sport engine in an sr I wouldn't have to declare the forties as they came standard on a 1.3 base nova? So long as I declare the engine change.

If you change from a 1litre carb to a 1.6i you don't have to declare the multi point injection as a modification. So why would you have to declare the twin forties on an sport engine?

Royston
15-12-13, 08:22 AM
So if I were to put a nova sport engine in an sr I wouldn't have to declare the forties as they came standard on a 1.3 base nova? So long as I declare the engine change.

If you change from a 1litre carb to a 1.6i you don't have to declare the multi point injection as a modification. So why would you have to declare the twin forties on an sport engine?

No it is a modification away from standard on both senarios.

Nova Sports as standard did come with the forties/kit in the boot and were a dealer fit item and they came is either with just the forties, or had the optional high lift cam fitted. (82hp against 93hp iirc, standard 1.3 was 70hp)

See the adverts/spec of the time.

My Nova Sport is insured as a "Sport" as the model, it is listed as a base on the log book

therealnovaboy
15-12-13, 08:29 AM
So if you have a nova sport with 1.3 base on the log book you'd have to declare the back box, forties, cams ect as a modification?

Royston
15-12-13, 08:38 AM
So if you have a nova sport with 1.3 base on the log book you'd have to declare the back box, forties, cams ect as a modification?

I have all the mod declared over the standard features, but as standard the forties/exhaust are standard for the model (cam optional)

Nova Sports are an standard production model

therealnovaboy
15-12-13, 09:05 AM
So it's a nova base in sport trim. Interesting. I'd love to explain that to a copper. .

Thanks for clearing that up Royston

Royston
15-12-13, 09:11 AM
No problem

It's just the way it is.......

BRoadGhost
15-12-13, 09:37 AM
Imo what it came with from the factory / is called means what it gets insured as. Regardless of parts fitted / left in the car by the factory; if it came from there called a sport then that's what it is.

If the insurer wants to argue it, then they should have asked exactly what it is in the first instance; obviously they don't know the business they are in.

tommy8252
15-12-13, 10:33 AM
Don't you have to list even optional extras to insurers anyway?

In that respect you'd have to give the trim level ie. Merit, spin, trip etc. In this case sport and list any dealer optional extras?

I had to list my old Hutchinsons cabriolet as what it was registered as (2 door saloon merit) then tell the insurer it was a cabriolet. This they then laughed at and told me there was no such thing and would only insure it as the merit saloon. Got pulled a few times with police thinking it was an xr3 cab. Never had to make a claim on the insurance though so no idea how it would have gone down with them.

MK999
15-12-13, 10:53 AM
As long as the insurer knows it is a sport, and recognises what a sport is it shouldn't be too hard. I have an E34 Alpina B10 atm, and no insurance company recognises it as it's own model as in the UK, they were imported and registered as 535i or 535 sports and the Alpina 'build' was done in the UK by Sytners of Nottingham, which is why I'm surprised a Nova sport isn't the same insurance wise! Some companies will insure it as standard with a note on the policy that it's a B10 and a relevant price bump, some will insure it as a 535 and list all of the modifications as the spec is a bit hit and miss due to their nature of being able to be whatever spec you asked for, some will insure it as an E39 B10 as it's the closest 'registered' car!

In the above Hutchinson case, it should have been insured as a saloon and then modification listed as a convertible (which I doubt is a standard tick box on their forms tbh!)

mowgli
15-12-13, 12:32 PM
the actual engine is no different between the sr & the 1.3 base model.. its the sport upgrades that are the problem in the eyes of the insurers

Jack
18-12-13, 03:25 PM
Don't you have to list even optional extras to insurers anyway?
Yes. People on CCUK have to make sure their G7s are logged with premium packs or whatever special model they came out the factory with.

Might be worth using this (http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/A119_11.html) as a reference...

bazil
18-12-13, 06:48 PM
Just my opinion but why would you want to insure a sport as a base spec car?

It it was written off and you dont have agreed value then you would get bottom book price for a standard nova, couple of hundred quid probably.

But then again if you insure it as a sport with no agreed value you would have to argue your case to get full market value for it too,
For an extra couple of quid its best to cover your asre!

Royston
18-12-13, 08:57 PM
Agreed value, all the way

Looks as if prices are also on the rise;)

Southie
18-12-13, 10:22 PM
Just insure the engine with webers, it can't be that expensive these days, tax will be naff all as well, probably cheaper in total than a up to date petrol 1.6 Astra.

yellowsrnova
19-12-13, 01:28 PM
flux insured mine as a sport some have it on there system some don't (base/sr)

yellowsrnova
19-12-13, 01:29 PM
plus i sent a copy of the brousher

Iain
19-12-13, 02:27 PM
That's it I'm gonna make up an 80s looking brochure for the rare GSI16v 2.0 Nova, standard insurance for me lol