PDA

View Full Version : Lowered tie bar brackets

TonySR
13-12-13, 12:37 PM
Where can I get them as doing a 20xe conversion for a mate and the gearbox is hitting (tab cut off) the tie bars

Iain
13-12-13, 12:40 PM
Protec motorsport

TonySR
13-12-13, 06:53 PM
Thank you. Rep added

chrisd1986
13-12-13, 07:10 PM
Or if you or a mate is handy with a welder then mod your own

BRoadGhost
15-12-13, 09:41 AM
If you do go down the route of doing your own there's actually a fair amount to consider (skilled welder or not).

dc1984
15-12-13, 10:13 AM
http://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/partsDetails.cfm?id=87

chrisd1986
15-12-13, 02:14 PM
If you do go down the route of doing your own there's actually a fair amount to consider (skilled welder or not).

The ones my mate done on his nova were fine

Iain
16-12-13, 11:51 AM
The ones my mate done on his nova were fine

Bit of a generic statement since we don't know who your mate is, what he knows or what exactly he did lol

The Protec ones are nicely made bits of kit that get rid of a bush and just bolt on so happy days

Dan Stanley
16-12-13, 10:54 PM
So the Pro-Tec ones use the OE tie bar?
The spherical bearing replaces where a normal rubber bush would go?

I have, apparently, Courtney lowered brackets. I sent them to a fabricator to copy them, albeit to a much higher standard, so I'd have another set for my next project. These will use the standard poly version bush though.
I didn't really notice any difference in handling though after doing this mod. What sort of differenced should it have made?

Apologies for taking the thread off topic slightly!

Iain
17-12-13, 08:42 AM
Yeah OE tiebar, just a spherical bearing.

I think they are sometimes referred to as "anti dive" kits and supposedly stop the nose from dipping as much under braking?

GRUNT 16V
23-12-13, 01:27 PM
I have been making my own sine 1998 never had a failure of any kind and they were hieght adjustable etc

craig green
28-12-13, 02:55 PM
Often called Castor brackets as they alter the castor angle.
They should help with nose lift under acceleration & dive under braking, by a negligible amount I'd imagine. Using a spherical bearing should isolate any play that worn bushes would have, but compared to some new-poly bushes, theres probably little in it. They are a rally derived modification so it's not surprising the 'benefit' isnt felt on the road by unskilled drivers.

[edit] I wouldnt fit them to an ageing Nova if I doubted the structural integrity of the cross-member or if the Grp-A plates werent in place around the mountings for the brackets.