PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend rear wheel bearings???

monty_trials
11-12-13, 05:19 AM
Hay peeps
Had that woo woo woo woo noise coming from rear wheel bearing few days back, got worse yesterday, so checked wheel to see if there was any play which there was. Ive not fitted a wheel bearing on a car in years, but ive done 100s of motorcycle ones in the past, but they are not the same of course lol
Do I need to remove the drum? Or is the bearing located behind the wheel nut and washers? Also which bearings would you guys recommend? "bearing" in mind its a Nova SRI which is just driven by me, not rallied or anything :d

therealnovaboy
11-12-13, 08:04 AM
Sometimes you can get away with re seating the bearing IE re grease, tighten then slacken again and the WOO WOO WOO WOO noise goes away. youll get the correct torques/ method in the haynes manual.

You take of the castle nut on the centre of the rear drum and pull of the drum. Nine times out of 10 youll rip the brake shoes off with it and youll need to grind the lip off the drum and re fit the brake shoes.

its quite a simple job but if youve done it before not easy if you dont have the right tools ect. basicly if you can get the seats off the hub and out the brake drum your laughing. usually you can drift them off with a punch/chisel. If its stuck on the hub you grind a notch on the bearing and crack it with a chisel. If its stuck in the drum I sometimes put a bead of weld on the bearing wait for it to cool then drift it out. the new ones are pressed/ tapped in with a socket the same size.

Any bearing make will do imo, even the cheapest ones last 80+ thousand miles when fitted correctly.

Benn
11-12-13, 08:36 AM
BRT make good bearings. They go in most things from gates cam belt kits to roller boots.

I'd just replace them.

sparkie1401
12-12-13, 04:53 PM
What Ben said BRT are very good, he should know as we'll working in car spares

Rage
12-12-13, 07:55 PM
can't think of the make of my bearings but i got them from central auto supplies for about £12 for the pair and with decent grease they have lasted me a couple of thousand miles so far and my novavan gets used as a van and still no noise from them

monty_trials
13-12-13, 10:43 PM
hay guys!!! Got them from my local motor factor shop. £8. Didnt realize they where 2 bearings lol i am a motorcycle mechanic which is different. Fitted them no prob in just under 2 hours. Ye had to drift the outer bearing out, then cleaned hub and found a few broken bearings inside and a few filings!! It now has no WOO WOO WOO but.....i am a little unsure of the torque on the final nut?? I did it hand tight with about a turn and a half, noticed it did spin ok but was a little slow, backed it off about half turn, then it span free with no play...... Does that sound correct? Or do i wait for mr WOO WOO WOO to return with will mean its a little loose lol

mowgli
13-12-13, 10:53 PM
buy a light blue Haynes book for a nova. it has the best info.

but pinching it up & then loosening it off till you can line up the castle nut is about right

monty_trials
13-12-13, 11:02 PM
Thanks for everyone's help!!! As ive only had the car 3 weeks its been ace, and every-time something small is needed doing its ace we can all help each other on this site!!

therealnovaboy
13-12-13, 11:03 PM
yeah sounds about right. check it again after a few miles, sometimes the grease gives you a false sense of tight. I usualt tighten it then slacken it off then hand tighten it till the castle nut lines up.

monty_trials
13-12-13, 11:07 PM
Should I remove and re-grease them then? As in after a few 100 miles, as i am guessing they will wear more when new, if that makes sense?

therealnovaboy
13-12-13, 11:14 PM
If You greased them when you put them in, no. if its fine in 50 miles time itll be fine for the next 50 thousand.

monty_trials
30-12-13, 12:54 AM
well its been at least 400 miles since i fitted them, no woo woo woo noise at all!!! Only noise now is the BBWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRR from the exhaust lol lol

mowgli
30-12-13, 10:52 AM
its a nova... you should only worry when the noise stops