PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Switch

Andy
08-12-13, 05:14 PM
I want to install an oil pressure gauge into my autograss Nova control panel so I can see whats happening and shut down if my pressure ever drops.
I want to do this cheap and don't want to spend £400 on zomg sport clocks and pressure switches.
What would be compatible that aint gonna cost the solar system? I thought a cheap switch and just a generic gauge like the ones ya see on that site were not allowed to talk about??
Any help or advice is always appreciated.

millworm
08-12-13, 05:20 PM
My oil pressure sender cost me £45 and it will work with a generic gauge but for what it's worth you may as well get a set of 6 dial clocks if you can get them cheap enough. i do have an oil pressure gauge separate from the clocks them selves if you want it on it's own

Andy
08-12-13, 05:24 PM
I cant mount 6 dial clocks,and nor do I need/want to.All I need is temp gauge,(which I have already) and I now want an oil pressure gauge,rest is fukking bollox on the oval lol
I just want to know if I can use a £10 gauge with a 3quid sender?

millworm
08-12-13, 05:26 PM
as far as senders go I'm not sure but you can use a cheap gauge, all it needs is a signal from the sender. so I'd say a proper sender and any gauge will do

Andy
08-12-13, 05:28 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Kit-SPECIAL-PURCHASE-/370807662071?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5655dbe5f7
What about this?
Sorry if im breaking any rules,im in no way promoting this item just wanna know if it will work on my car.

millworm
08-12-13, 05:32 PM
If you can get the sender to fit then yes it'll work but you'll loose your oil pressure warning light

Andy
08-12-13, 05:33 PM
I have no light.
I don't have clocks,just a board with ign switch,push start,temp gauge and fan switch.Thats all

millworm
08-12-13, 05:34 PM
Then as long it fits in the oil gallery it'll'll work

mowgli
08-12-13, 06:13 PM
andy, look at tractor stuff.. the gauges for some of the old Massey ferguson/fordson stuff are quite cheap, then use a gm sender from a scrappy..

ps. the gm sender is metric, m14 x 1.5 iirc, so an 1/8" fitting won't be compatable

Andy
08-12-13, 07:14 PM
Thanks mate.

Iain
09-12-13, 11:48 AM
I can't work out if you want a light or not as you've mentioned 'switch' a few times, but I've installed an oil pressure switch that comes on at something like 10psi attached to a light on the dash - will come on at a higher pressure to the standard oil pressure switch so hopefully give you enough warning to switch the engine off in time.

If you can get a 1/8 NPT gauge sensor cheaper there's plenty of brass adaptors that go into the block for a few quid on eBay/Demon Tweeks etc. It's what I've used for all my aftermarket gauges.

garyc
10-12-13, 06:37 PM
Better off with a high pressure warning switch and a light. I only ever look at the pressure in the pits. Your more likely to have a light show up mid bend showing surge you will see that you won't have chance to look at a pressure gauge.