PDA

View Full Version : Uprated engine mounts

Dan Stanley
05-12-13, 03:22 PM
Firstly, by engine mounts, I mean the rubber and metal block mounts and not the metal brackets they atatch to.

After a day around Brands on Sunday, my alternator pulley started to mate with my chassis. So, Im assuming my engine mount(s) have given up. I cant remember if I replaced them when I did the engine conversion (3 years ago?) or if they were original to the car.

So, have they just given up with age and so should be replaced like for like.
Or, can they not stand the abuse and be uprated?

I suppose its best to renew all three, but this will cost. Ive also read about people stiffening the OE mounts by filling the gaps with Tiger Seal. Is this effective? Im not sure I'd want full on nylon/race/solid engine mounts as this will take away from the cars usability as a road car. I assume the nylon mounts would transmit a hell of a lot more vibration through the car, is this right?

What's peoples opinions?
What have you done?

Thanks

Benn
05-12-13, 04:06 PM
I used Tiger sealed up mounts, love them. They stop all movement but give a tiny bit of softness.(rather than the totally solid ones)
You do get a bit more vibration, but not that much really.
Mine have been used on 3 track sessions plus 2/3 years of driving. GReat and cheap.

Iain
05-12-13, 04:10 PM
Ran tigerseal mounts for a short period with my 1.6 and they were good.

£100 will get you some steel solid engine mounts which should last you for plenty more abuse though.

grooge
05-12-13, 06:41 PM
i've always found the rear mount is the one that goes first on any of the novas/corsas i've owned.

first time i changed them i replaced all 3 with solid mounts but last few cars ive just done the rear mount solid only.

as ben said, you do get a bit more vibration but its not much and its never bothered me.

i've used mounts that have been tigersealed before aswell and theyve been fine although i once bought a car that had had the mounts tigersealed and they fell apart, but that could just be the previous owner having done a poor job or the mounts being destroyed before he tigersealed them.

Rage
05-12-13, 06:54 PM
I'm having problems with my alternator hitting my tca on my novavan with a 1.5td out of a corsa. it is lowered but know how much as they were second hand springs. it only hits in reverse and if on a slope with the drivers side lower and my foot on the clutch if i lift off the clutch even in neutral then it's fine could this be a knackered mount with too much play? if so does anyone know where to get the diesel mounts as i seem to remember someone saying that you can't get one of the three

Dan Stanley
05-12-13, 08:52 PM
Is it one tube of Tiger Seal to do all 3 mounts?

grooge
05-12-13, 11:46 PM
I'm having problems with my alternator hitting my tca on my novavan with a 1.5td out of a corsa. it is lowered but know how much as they were second hand springs. it only hits in reverse and if on a slope with the drivers side lower and my foot on the clutch if i lift off the clutch even in neutral then it's fine could this be a knackered mount with too much play? if so does anyone know where to get the diesel mounts as i seem to remember someone saying that you can't get one of the three

its the front drivers side mount thats different mate.

Mieran
05-12-13, 11:54 PM
Only problem with solid engine mounts is the driver side one has one hole and its not threaded so you have to put a hole in your chassis leg to run a bolt through from the inner arch

Benn
05-12-13, 11:59 PM
Is it one tube of Tiger Seal to do all 3 mounts?

Yeah tube will do all 3 with some left over.

I taped one side over, then pumped it in from the other side till full. Then smooth with a finger.
Once dried, untape and fill in any gaps on the other side.

May take a few days to go off if its cold... So i put mine in the airing cupboard, but it can smell.

Mieran
06-12-13, 12:01 AM
Tiger seal by itself won't be that stiff, I would stick some nylon washers in there too then add tigerseal, I've done this previously and works just as good as solid mounts

Iain
06-12-13, 08:37 AM
Only problem with solid engine mounts is the driver side one has one hole and its not threaded so you have to put a hole in your chassis leg to run a bolt through from the inner arch

Or modify a bolt to fit up there with minimal 'tickling' to the chassis leg.

Benn
06-12-13, 08:47 AM
Mine are hard as funk. Engine doesn't move at all even on full boost.. (that's just tiger seal)

Rage
06-12-13, 10:29 PM
its the front drivers side mount thats different mate.

thought it might be any ideas where to get one as like i say i seem to remember someone saying they are difficult to get

Dan Stanley
07-12-13, 03:18 PM
Thanks Benn. Ordered all 3 mounts, new at £76.

brucer
08-12-13, 07:29 PM
on mine I tiger sealed the 2 front ones and didn't do the rear one (god knows why, must have forgot). I still had movement as my dump valve and alternator pulley would touch on the odd occasion.

ive just replaced the rear one with a solid mount and put 900mm belt on the aux side. I did change to a 910mm which helped a great deal, as I lost that belt up the strip I thought id shorten it again to get max clearance.

Dan Stanley
09-12-13, 12:05 AM
Brucer, so you ran a shorter belt to bring the alternator closer to the engine and slighlty higher up? This gave more clearance did it?
Hmm, something else to think about.
Im running a 16XE with the standard multi ribbed belt alternator

brucer
09-12-13, 06:21 PM
sorry, for some reason I presumed you had a c20xe. yeh on my LET I used a shorted belt.

andy_mk3
09-12-13, 07:06 PM
I used the ends of old tyre valves that gets cut off when replacing a valve, you get like a thick rubber o-ring from it. Then packed up with tiger seal.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/muckingfuppet/Astra%20Pineapple/20130616_122906_zps09f49513.jpg

Solid enough for me, and cheap enough too. Happy days!