PDA

View Full Version : c20let with straight cut F20

jonn
02-12-13, 08:28 PM
i have a standard f20 box that i was going to fit to my c20let (i don't want to fit a f28 for a few reasons). i will need to buy a lsd for the box but i just want to know what way would a full straight cut box behave with a 300bhp let? did matthew on here have one fitted to a let?

it will only be for track use but would the ratios be to close for the turbo engine? would it be worth the money? i would not really be after top end speed.

MOD PLEASE MOVE TO MECHANICAL HALF A SLEEP HERE SORRY!

Nick J
02-12-13, 08:48 PM
I used an f20 sccr kit on a phase 2 c20let and it's been fine for years between a few owners. Mark beeson also ran one with similar power and did blow it to pieces at one point but repaired It and carried on abusing it with no issues. Mine ran a custom fifth gear and I think marks ran a custom 4th and fifth gear to suit the higher top speed he wanted. They aren't very good for motorways as your on boost cruising in fifth but from what you say you won't have an issue with that. I have heard quaife state they are on their limit at 300hp though it's apparently the torque that kills them. I enjoyed mine with the spec I was running as the acceleration was epic on boost! Matts running big power so was advised to remove it before the huge torque knackered it iirc.

Nick.

jonn
02-12-13, 09:05 PM
sounds like fun so! i only want to run 300bhp so it shouldn't be to hard on the box i hope. i have been in a few cars with a close straight cut box and they make some difference.

Alex J
02-12-13, 09:10 PM
f28s are over rated and blow up aswell lol

Nick J
02-12-13, 09:17 PM
sounds like fun so! i only want to run 300bhp so it shouldn't be to hard on the box i hope. i have been in a few cars with a close straight cut box and they make some difference.

Obviously their built for track/event use so can take abuse to a point. The acceleration is fantastic so would provide you with great fun without doubt! You'll pay 600/700 for an f28 with diff and around 1k for an f20 sccr kit/diff so depends on your requirements/budget I guess.

Nick.

Will F
02-12-13, 11:46 PM
Worth mentioning that quiafe won't provide a warranty on over 250lb/ft torque on the sccr cluster... It that's only relevant when you buy new...

jonn
03-12-13, 01:24 PM
What would be the best lsd to fit? Is there many different kits. I seen a Harry hockey one for sale.

Mieran
03-12-13, 02:51 PM
I had Tran-X plate diff on my Nova C20LET and it was a handful on boost, not something I would fit if I was building another