PDA

View Full Version : Welding a Nova front hub - Feasible

novarally
01-12-13, 05:55 PM
I know there are a few good welders on this Forum, and I need some help please.

I'm a pretty competent welder (MiG), and I want to modify my Nova's front hubs.

Basically I want to add some threaded inserts so I can bolt my new brake calipers direct to the hub (rather than fiddling about having a separate bracket).

Can I get a good quality weld on this material (cast iron I guess)?

_Jake
01-12-13, 06:11 PM
It is possible with correct pre & post heating, this is needed as the carbon content in cast iron will cause it to crack under rapid cooling (letting it cool naturally may not seem like "rapid cooling" but believe me it will crack) If using a MMA welder (stronger weld & greater selection of fillers) you can use a specific cast rod which will also reduce the chance of cracking etc. Thats as far as my knowledge goes im afraid

Andy
01-12-13, 06:26 PM
You will need nickel rods from what I have researched before when considering welding a cast exhaust manifold on my old 205 gti

_Jake
01-12-13, 07:08 PM
You will need nickel rods from what I have researched before when considering welding a cast exhaust manifold on my old 205 gti
knew it was something like that, just couldnt be arsed to look lol

novarally
01-12-13, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like it won't be possible with my MiG, so that makes me even more determined to have some CNC-machined alloy front hubs made for me!

Andy
01-12-13, 07:24 PM
Yeah I definitely wouldn't consider mig welding,especially for something so safety critical!

novarally
01-12-13, 07:29 PM
Yeah I definitely wouldn't consider mig welding,especially for something so safety critical!

I do have a good friend who can TiG and has all the gear, so I may refer it to him. It will be a lot cheaper than CNC custom stuff!

vessey
01-12-13, 07:36 PM
if you get stuck I could weld and get them tested at work

novarally
01-12-13, 07:56 PM
if you get stuck I could weld and get them tested at work

Thanks Jon.

The main problem is getting the inserts in exactly the right place to centre the caliper onto the disc. It's going to be a bit of trial and error, which is why I was hoping to do it myself so I can fiddle about to get it spot on.

I will try and so some photos tomorrow to show what I have in mind.

Johnny A
01-12-13, 08:26 PM
Yes it is possible, I made by custom hubs for the Carlton using the originals. Like it's been said before pre-heating is important and also a powerful welder.

If anyone says this is dangerous, stupid etc.... just bare in mind these hubs have seen 2 years of service including 6 track days inc. the Nurburgring all on stick tyres and they are still perfect.

_Jake
02-12-13, 12:53 PM
If anyone says this is dangerous, stupid etc.... just bare in mind these hubs have seen 2 years of service including 6 track days inc. the Nurburgring all on stick tyres and they are still perfect.
Nothings dangerous when done correctly :)