PDA

View Full Version : engine using a lot of water

Steve
28-11-13, 03:47 PM
My 1300 8v seems to be using a lot of water, its definitely not leaking.

I changed the anti freeze about two weeks ago and have covered less than 200 miles and today the expansion tank was empty!

That seems a bit excessive to me! What's the most likely cause?

TeddyThom
28-11-13, 04:45 PM
I think a head gasket is gives those symptoms to start with. My silver one did that. Didn't notice too much til it started to over heat and I thought it was a bit strange as I'd only filled it about a week previously!

marc69
28-11-13, 04:55 PM
Mine did this, there was a tiny bit on the gasket that was letting water out the exhaust.
Another symptom was a water sound in the car on startup and the headtank would be highly pressurised.

Before you do take the head etc off, though check under the carpet for a knacked heater matrix and also the water bit on the autochoke could have nbeen overlooked?

Steve
28-11-13, 05:02 PM
Its been like this for a while now, I had it pressure checked back in july and all cylinders were the same. There is a water sound on startup though but the autochoke is bypassed so there's definitely no leaks there, I've checked it thoroughly and even teddythoms dodgy rad isn't leaking! Lol

TeddyThom
28-11-13, 05:12 PM
Cheeky b*gger! lol

You around the weekend?? Sunday to be precise.

Steve
28-11-13, 05:36 PM
I work every sunday mate, I'm off all tomorrow if you want me to have a look at what's going on with yours.

Haha, you did say it wasn't a brilliant rad but it hasn't caused me any troubles so far!

conza123
28-11-13, 05:43 PM
has its just dropped the once as you mite of had a bit of a air lock somewhere and now you havent

Steve
28-11-13, 06:25 PM
Nah I keep topping it up about once a week, its always used a bit but it seems like its using more lately.

mowgli
28-11-13, 06:45 PM
either your rad cap is leaking slightly, or your head gasket is leaking,

Southie
28-11-13, 07:29 PM
I'd get a pressure test on your header bottle to see if you've a leak somewhere on the system, if no leaks from any pipes, header cap, heater matrix or radiator and you've also flushed the system properly then I'd say the head gasket is on its way out.

marc69
28-11-13, 08:57 PM
Its been like this for a while now, I had it pressure checked back in july and all cylinders were the same. There is a water sound on startup though but the autochoke is bypassed so there's definitely no leaks there, I've checked it thoroughly and even teddythoms dodgy rad isn't leaking! Lol

Sounds exactly like mine, tried everything then eventually changed the gasket, there was a tiny leak, close to where the engine number is. Since it has been changed the water noise stopped and I have never topped it up in several thousand miles.

Steve
28-11-13, 11:19 PM
Cheers for the help guys, the engines on 70k ish so it might be time it had a new gasket!

Glad I've got my brown saloon to get around in when I take it off the road.

dgbnova#1
28-11-13, 11:27 PM
Possably water pump failure have a look at the hole at the bottom of the pump see if rusty as it means the seal has gone in the shaft so new pump n cam belt change while u at it.

Check ure oil not gunked up but if its ok check all pipes for leaking

mowgli
30-11-13, 06:26 AM
Cheers for the help guys, the engines on 70k ish so it might be time it had a new gasket!

Glad I've got my brown saloon to get around in when I take it off the road.

its 2-3hrs of spannering.

new gasket, set of bolts & some decent sealant. whilst you are at it, swap the water pump & cambelt. then change the oil & filter after to get rid of any gunk that might fall down the oil passages. ah, the joys of easy classic motoring

meritlover
30-11-13, 07:11 AM
Check water pump. There's a tell-tale drilled between the bearing and the seal.

Steve
02-12-13, 10:58 PM
Just to update this, I use the car daily but the last two days I've come to use the car in the morning and on the drivers side (pretty much below the water pump) there has been a puddle of water. I'm not too good with the spanners when it comes to engines but I would hazard a guess that that would be something to do with the water pump! Lol its never left a puddle before, but the water level has been dropping and it never leaks with the engine running!I'm using my other nova for the mean time but it looks like a new cambelt and water pump will be needed.