PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

NOVA BUF
27-11-13, 10:59 PM
spec- 1.2 nova with carb and manual choke, ignition sysem has distributor.

problem - Seems to idle ok but as soon as i put my foot down it just seems to bog and give me no power at all, then some power, then none at all. this happens weather my foot is down or just pulling away slowly, normally it stalls from pulling away.

i have tried cleaning the spark plugs, also bought 4 new sparkplugs I will be trying tomorrow morning, cleaning out the air filter and the carb as there was quite a lot of oil around it, but not directly inside the throat of the carb. the vacuum and the vacuum pipe had quite a bit of oil in too.

after cleaning the carb and the air filter there was no change, so I cleaned the spark plugs and there was a very small improvement which is why I bought the four new ones I will be fitting.

does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing it to lack in power so much or why my vacuum was coverd in oil sludge.

any help will be much appreciated.

dgbnova#1
27-11-13, 11:32 PM
Check ure fuel pump for ware/working fuel filter blocked possably, take dizzy cap off check rotor arm. They do gunk up in the pipes so just part of matanance remove and clear them try a service oil etc but after all them items its coil dizzy its self and so on try them first costs nothing to look

mowgli
28-11-13, 07:17 AM
your breather filter is possibly gummed up. its under the inlet manifold & is a bit of a sod to get at. you have to be brutal to clean them out though.. the last time i did one, i used petrol & then lit it. it burned all the crap out though... lol lol lol

check your dizzy vacuum advance/retard is working ok too

millworm
28-11-13, 07:57 AM
I had the same problem with mine, was fuel starvation. My fuel filter was all blocked up so I put up a new one and I was away. I've had problems with the fuel lines under the car before too the lines from the tank to the metal ones under the car got kinked

scott.parker
28-11-13, 12:04 PM
Any of the issues above need to be ruled out, but not sure if the car has been stood for a while or not, check your choke and throttle cables are freely moving, as if these get stuck in the sleeves it can have similar effect..

NOVA BUF
28-11-13, 02:18 PM
thanks very much for all the replies. I have had a look at the dizzy and fuel lines etc. nothing seemed to cure the problem.
As I am a delivery driver I had to take it to work today and deliver my parcels in it. I was pulling out of a driveway when it just decided to start giving me power again etc, the car is working fine now. :s god knows why. I did run it without the pipes on the bottom of the airfilter all day. but didn't think that would change anything too much. Happy Days :D Don't we all love novas. thanks again for everyones help

mowgli
28-11-13, 06:43 PM
i think your mixture setting is out. maybe your choke cable has slipped.