PDA

View Full Version : Heating, nova heaters..

boyd_1989
26-11-13, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone :), I'm just wondering after 5 years of owning my nova lol, the heating has always been a bit sh*t lol, does anyone know how to make them better? And so that they actually stay hot? They are good once the car warms up but soon as you take a drive down the road it cools down too quickly and then the heaters just start blowing out cold air lol, well it's warm air but only when put your hands close up lol. If anyone has done any mods or whatever to sort this then please let me know :). Also I've been looking at the way Corsa b's are, and the sport I had had this thing which went between the heater matrix pipes, will this help it on the nova? Click the link to see the thing I'm meaning..
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=400335846175

Thanks.

Craig.

millworm
26-11-13, 10:06 AM
Put somthing in front of half the radiator to keep some heat in? Mine are really good as it goes

boyd_1989
26-11-13, 10:43 AM
I could but then it might get too hot at times lol. Are yours good constantly or do they cool down as mine do? Maybe my heater matrix needs replaced? Or possibly I might need to bleed the system again? I've done it a few times though still turns out the same :/

millworm
26-11-13, 11:39 AM
Mine get so toasty I have to turn them off! Once the car is running their fine and never cool down. I know taxis put stuff over their gille this time if year to keep the heat in. Bleed it or you could get a hotter running thermostat imo

nova_niek
26-11-13, 11:49 AM
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck wide open. If that is the case, the engine temp needle will struggle to get into (or stay in) the "comfort" zone. Cheapest fix (bodge more like haha) is a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.

marc69
26-11-13, 12:30 PM
as said above, sounds like a naff thermostat.

If your car temp is falling into the blue when you are running then you are using a lot more fuel and not doing the engine any good....easiest and most cost effective fix......thermostat.

The cardboard does work until you can get a thermostat fitted.

GRUNT 16V
26-11-13, 12:49 PM
Are you running a cool thermostat ?? or srtandard one ?? if its a cool running one bin it and replace it with a standard one

boyd_1989
26-11-13, 03:37 PM
Thanks for replies.. I've had this problem pretty much since I fitted the c16xe over 3 years ago lol but my 1.2 also was the same so I just thought the heaters was always sh*t lol. But a few people have said about the thermostat, I didn't even think about that lol I feel so stupid now lol. I'm unsure whether it be a cool running one or just needs replaced but I will just replace it anyway. You say about it over fueling? This is my reason for it over fuelling sometimes then but, I haven't had any fault codes come up for it apart from lambda sensor every now and again, would that be cause of the same problem? I probably won't do the cardboard infront of the radiator, I'll try the thermostat first.

Thanks for all the help :).

Craig.

Adam
26-11-13, 03:47 PM
Thermostat is easy fix on c16xe anyway

7ova
26-11-13, 04:19 PM
On the c16xe on the drivers side in front of the cam belt cover
End of the top hose should be a three bolt fitting plate
Should be there.

A lot quicker to do than a 8 valve engine

dgbnova#1
26-11-13, 04:25 PM
If ure heater has always been crap I'd take both hoses of of the heater when u do thermo and flush it with a hose for a good while not gona hurt as may just be full of crap from the 1.2 engine, just put the hose in one side let it run our the other

Southie
26-11-13, 06:29 PM
As said it could be the thermostat, it could also be the radiator that needs flushing or replacing seeings as it was like that before the C16 was fitted.
May also be the heater matrix which is getting old.

Best bet is flush the system first and then take it from there.

boyd_1989
26-11-13, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the comments again lads.. Sorry if I was sounding stupid, but I know where the thermostat is lol I just never thought about that when I was thinking about the heating lol. And yeah I imagine it could be full of crap from the 1.2 as the head gasket got pretty bad before I eventually took it out, I will give it all a good flush out till the water comes out clear :), my radiator should be fine as I put a new Gsi radiator in a few months ago. I'll hopefully get thermostat bought and fit it this weekend so I'll keep you all updated on how I get with it :) I hope it will be nice and hot afterwards haha.

Thanks again.

Craig.

dgbnova#1
26-11-13, 11:16 PM
With head gasket gone the matrix will be gunked up I'd say no water going through means no heat its a no brainer I'd flush the lot again rad engine while thermo out and matrix

boyd_1989
27-11-13, 08:39 AM
Na the waters definitely going through as it gets warm but just won't stay warm so I'm guessing it could be blocked up but not completely. I'll be doing it this weekend anywY so I'll let everyone know if I sort it. Thanks for comments :).

dgbnova#1
27-11-13, 09:02 AM
Yep could be half blocked you will know when u flush it out