PDA

View Full Version : Turbo research.

TeddyThom
24-11-13, 11:52 AM
Basically just thinking a few ideas through. Currently got a 1400NV carb'ed. The articles on here point to turbocharging an injected motor. Now by new year I shall be running twin 40's on said engine. Has anyone done a turbo with a carb'ed engine? I can't find any information. Just intrigued as to what it would take to do it.

Benn
24-11-13, 12:37 PM
Citroen... The AX was a carb with a turbo.. Might be a start of info...

scott.parker
24-11-13, 12:49 PM
Citroen... The AX was a carb with a turbo.. Might be a start of info...

Really? Never seen or heard of ax being turbo, i know the Renault 5gt was carb turbo though.

meritlover
24-11-13, 01:05 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?204070-bike-carbs-with-turbo

try looking one page back. same principles discussed.

Novasport
24-11-13, 03:49 PM
You would need a turbo specific carb otherwise the boost would leak lol

Andy
24-11-13, 03:59 PM
xr2 turbo technics setup running a 32/34 weber is the easiest route

meritlover
24-11-13, 04:20 PM
You would need a turbo specific carb otherwise the boost would leak lol

not if you crafted the plenum to contain the carb. This would ensure the bowl and the 'atmosphere' are always equal. you would still need a proportional fuel supply and something to compensate for the air density change and control the spark...something a bit like an ECU which would be mappable for each individual point....

Stuart
24-11-13, 04:27 PM
Lotus esprit carbs... Good luck lol

if you're going to bodge it and then moan that a) carbs are rubbish and b.) turbos are rubbish then sure lash boost into carbs. If you want to do it properly then do it properly with injection

_Jake
24-11-13, 05:16 PM
Be easier just to swap the top end to a e16se so you already have lower CR and a nice sealed plenum.

Benn
24-11-13, 06:54 PM
Really? Never seen or heard of ax being turbo, i know the Renault 5gt was carb turbo though.

Sorry i was thinking of the R5.
Same plastic sh*te.

meritlover
24-11-13, 11:53 PM
A draw-through setup would be easier if using a NA carb, but equally horrendous in terms of tuning/performance and hot starts. there is a reasonwhy no one makes turbo carb'd cars these days. it would be aa crap job even if you knew what you were doing.