PDA

View Full Version : rotary arm guidance please

ash.blue
22-11-13, 12:29 PM
Have a mk2 nova, that struggles to start. Its a 1.0 and now has a choke fitted, the rotary I have does give a strong enough spark and struggles alot with momentum of running. Seems to pause a lil due to weakness of current to ignite fuel.

If someone could post a pic of what type of rotary arm I needwould be grateful
Cheers for looking, ash

mowgli
22-11-13, 06:42 PM
there is only one rotor arm on a 1.0 nova.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Quinton-Hazell-Distributor-Rotor-Arm-Vauxhall-NOVA-Hatchback-1-0-83-93-/00/s/MjQwWDI3NQ==/z/aSQAAOxy86RSU-fv/$T2eC16JHJG8FGrp1wHU2BSU-fvok0!~~60_35.JPG

weak spark can be caused by knackered points, timing out, old spark plugs or leads & the coil breaking down.

have you checked all of the above too?

ash.blue
22-11-13, 07:20 PM
Thats the one I have fitted, ive seen some different to that one.

Points have been changed, timings a lil off, spark plugs seem fairly new and clean usual colour level.
Spark is strong if rotary arm is inside the distributor cap with it placed on a lead contact end, with the plug against block. When fully connected the spark weakens

meritlover
23-11-13, 09:49 PM
Points have been changed, timings a lil off, spark plugs seem fairly new and clean usual colour level.
Spark is strong if rotary arm is inside the distributor cap with it placed on a lead contact end, with the plug against block. When fully connected the spark weakens

set your timing then O_o

mowgli
24-11-13, 10:38 AM
Thats the one I have fitted, ive seen some different to that one.

just cos a spark is seen when the plug is outside of the engine, doesn't mean it will spark when inside.

when did you last change the plugs & leads? plugs need changing annually & if the leads are more than a couple of years old, they won't work too well either