PDA

View Full Version : single skin rear arch mod

16v
21-11-13, 10:21 PM
Just reading the New total vauxhall in particular Martin weaver's nova turbo and was curious to know what's involved in modifying the rear arches to single skin or if anyone else has done anything similar? And btw I love the look of said car it's beautiful!

Benn
21-11-13, 10:37 PM
You cut the lip off as its the join of the two panels. Well that's how i see it/would think it is. Unless hes cut the inner off higher up the arch. But then you'd have a gap you'd need to re and fill up. And that would be a **** of a job.

16v
21-11-13, 10:44 PM
Thanks Benn I was thinking did he tub them like on a hot rod lol it sounds like a good idea but would it not leave the arch a bit flimsy if it's only single skin?

Benn
21-11-13, 10:56 PM
No, i have no lips on mine and the inner trimmed back as far as i could, then spotted to the outer. Mine are nice and strong.

16v
21-11-13, 11:10 PM
I was thinking off trimming mine rite back and tacking all the way along like a continuous weld! But wanted to know more of this mod

mowgli
21-11-13, 11:20 PM
I've often wondered why people don't cut the rear arches out to the same profile as the front ones....this would free up loads of room

scott.parker
21-11-13, 11:33 PM
I've often wondered why people don't cut the rear arches out to the same profile as the front ones....this would free up loads of room

Simple, it would look ****!

mowgli
21-11-13, 11:44 PM
would it though?? we need someone to photoshop it

scott.parker
22-11-13, 07:51 AM
would it though?? we need someone to photoshop it

Well i know that to me the rear box arch is one of the lines of the car that give it its character, weve seen five door arches on atches, it looks ok, but again it takes away the character imo.

Jack
22-11-13, 12:14 PM
There's that 2dr saloon with the hatch arches on it - used front arches to make the rears and it looks whack.

dgbnova#1
22-11-13, 02:05 PM
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w535/dgbnova1/IMG-20131118-WA0000_zps27f18486.jpg've fitted hatch rear quarters to the saloon/pickup I built far nicer and better looks imo
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w535/dgbnova1/IMG-20131118-WA0002_zpsc278546d.jpg

J

Benn
22-11-13, 05:42 PM
I was thinking off trimming mine rite back and tacking all the way along like a continuous weld! But wanted to know more of this mod

That is what mine are done like. Then very wheel sealed in. Gives loads of room in the arches.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w535/dgbnova1/IMG-20131118-WA0002_zpsc278546d.jpg

J

But cause it's a pick up i think it looks right... On a normal saloon i dont like it... Found this pic... The quarter looks all wrong due to the tiny box like bit of arch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Novas/novabootlidpvs_zps9642241f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bennh/media/Novas/novabootlidpvs_zps9642241f.jpg.html)

Nick J
22-11-13, 07:19 PM
Just reading the New total vauxhall in particular Martin weaver's nova turbo and was curious to know what's involved in modifying the rear arches to single skin or if anyone else has done anything similar? And btw I love the look of said car it's beautiful!

The rear arches on my previous project and current one were done in a very similar way.... Once the outer arch is removed you cut the inner return lip off (section that points towards the tyre) Once the new outer is fitted you apply a metal bonder inside and then roll the lip flush over the top of the inner completely enclosing it. This will give you a double skin just like the original but instead of the skins being welded they are bonded together for strength. Some spray sealer,stone chip and wax oil will see the job complete and probably outlast the rest of the nova if it's done properly! Their should be some pics in my thread if your willing to look through many pages!

Nick.

16v
22-11-13, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I remember seeing a dark loon with hatch arches years ago and thought it looked good I'll try and find a pic

martweaver
01-12-13, 08:59 PM
Nicks reply is a great, modern alternative but not how mine were done - both outer quarters are new so before these were fitted and the inner structure was exposed, a good portion of the inner tub (the part that sits back-to-back with the outer flared section) was cut away specifically to remove the join of the 2 skins from such an exposed point.
the inner arch was then welded (extremely carefully!) to the new outers - a few inches up from the lip if I remember.
The whole lot was then sealed to death on both sides and painted.

Nick J
02-12-13, 06:20 PM
Nicks reply is a great, modern alternative but not how mine were done - both outer quarters are new so before these were fitted and the inner structure was exposed, a good portion of the inner tub (the part that sits back-to-back with the outer flared section) was cut away specifically to remove the join of the 2 skins from such an exposed point.
the inner arch was then welded (extremely carefully!) to the new outers - a few inches up from the lip if I remember.
The whole lot was then sealed to death on both sides and painted.

Yeah I thought it would be a similar method...... Depends how far people's inner quarters have gone I guess as to how far they'd need to be cut back to. They could always be repaired and brought back down to the required level easily enough though. Nova looks well though Martin.... Be good to have a look round it one day at billing or similar.

Nick.