PDA

View Full Version : 14nv the best oil to use

therickyt
18-11-13, 09:18 PM
Hello all

Im looking for everyones opinions on the best oil to use in my 14nv, its raced and on hydraulic lifters so need something that will optimize the engines performance and sustain the performance at high revs.iv herd of people using things from 5-30 fully synthetic diesel oil to 20-50 mineral and also 10-60, is a thinner synthetic oil better for the high reving or a thicker mineral oil one will flow faster were as the other will hold its place. thoughts please

thank you

nova_niek
19-11-13, 09:29 AM
Castrol Edge 5W30 fully synthetic. Can't beat this. BMW M-series approved oil. Have used this in my valver for many years and it's still in one piece. Enough said.

Mineral or semi synthetic oil is old hat and should not be allowed near engines, unless you don't care about long-term ownership.

therickyt
20-11-13, 07:08 AM
I'm not worrid about long term as I rebuild it every year, why do you rate fully over the rest? What's the extra properties in fully that gives the extra protection, I'm looking for some science behind the oil and to enderstand what's best for the lifters more than anything, I want them to be at 100% specialy as we high rev the engines. Thanks

garyc
21-11-13, 06:25 PM
Try valvoline racing oil.

marc69
21-11-13, 06:45 PM
I ujsed thin racing oil in my .4 track car last year and the oil got so thin when it was hot (constantly between 4 and 7K) that on corners it would all go to one side and give me low oil pressure and affter every sesssion the tappets would sound like a deisel. I went back to the oil the engine was designed for and had no further issues, and after almost every month ata atrack day for a year it is still running fine.

If you are going for thinner oil I would at least recommend a baffled sump to help the pressure on corners.

mowgli
21-11-13, 06:47 PM
seriously, i'd say use cheap 20w50 & change it after a meeting.

marc69
21-11-13, 06:58 PM
seriously, i'd say use cheap 20w50 & change it after a meeting.

A definate requirement regardless of oil type, especially if like I did running just 1.4 against bigger cars, continually redlining.

burgo
22-11-13, 06:53 AM
Its a nova engine! Any old ****e 10-40 and it'll be happy

blue_peg_16v
22-11-13, 08:06 AM
Gm 10 40

nova_niek
25-11-13, 12:48 PM
I'm not worrid about long term as I rebuild it every year, why do you rate fully over the rest? What's the extra properties in fully that gives the extra protection, I'm looking for some science behind the oil and to enderstand what's best for the lifters more than anything, I want them to be at 100% specialy as we high rev the engines. Thanks

Over the past 10 years I've done business with a well respected tuner/engineer and former HRC-mechanic (Honda Racing Corporation). This guy has worked with Jeremy Burgess (now Valentino Rossi's manager) back in the days of Freddy Spencer. He has built more motorcycle engines that you can shake a stick at, some of which have run over 1,000,000km (600k miles) without missing a beat. Lubricant used? Castrol fully synth. He's also built loads of racing engines - same story.

Those of you familiar with Kawasaki's ZZ-R 1100 engines will know these engines are prone to throwing rod #3 due to insufficient lubrication/oil starvation. I've serviced numerous ZL900 and ZL1000's (same engine design) using Castrol fully synth and NOT ONE has thrown a rod. Speaks for itself, methinks. So why my pledge for Castrol fully synth? Because it keeps wear down under extreme conditions. No need to refresh oil after each race when you use this stuff, and your engine keeps performing as it should. Works out cheaper in the long run. Win-win!

meritlover
25-11-13, 08:27 PM
Over the past 10 years I've done business with a well respected tuner/engineer and former HRC-mechanic (Honda Racing Corporation). This guy has worked with Jeremy Burgess (now Valentino Rossi's manager) back in the days of Freddy Spencer. He has built more motorcycle engines that you can shake a stick at, some of which have run over 1,000,000km (600k miles) without missing a beat. Lubricant used? Castrol fully synth. He's also built loads of racing engines - same story.

Those of you familiar with Kawasaki's ZZ-R 1100 engines will know these engines are prone to throwing rod #3 due to insufficient lubrication/oil starvation. I've serviced numerous ZL900 and ZL1000's (same engine design) using Castrol fully synth and NOT ONE has thrown a rod. Speaks for itself, methinks. So why my pledge for Castrol fully synth? Because it keeps wear down under extreme conditions. No need to refresh oil after each race when you use this stuff, and your engine keeps performing as it should. Works out cheaper in the long run. Win-win!

..This guy you speak of....What oil does he run in his Nova then?