PDA

View Full Version : bike carbs with turbo

scorch312
16-11-13, 08:09 PM
has anyone used a set of yamaha xj650l bike carbs or something similar to turbo a engine? just asking as these were used for turbos on bikes as they came out the factory? best of both worlds then :P if so what else would i need to turbo a 1.4 8v lump? obviously custom exhaust manifold , turbo , intercooler oil feeds but what else for these bike carbs? its only a question before people start saying to use google or the search im just after some information :)

meritlover
16-11-13, 10:18 PM
presumably you will need a fuel pump and regulator that runs proportionally to boost pressure.

Personally i would use a 1.6 inj manifold with the flange ported to match the cathedral ports of the head, throttle body and fuel rail then some simple pipework, an IC, a programmable ECU, 60-2 wheel and pick up, exhaust manifold and turbo.

job done.

why you would want to go to such lengths to cobble together such a primitive and inferior 1980s carb system is beyond me. even once you've spent time fabricating the elaborate plenum, and done the pipework, you will still need to find away of controlling the spark properly or the whole thing is a waste of time.

Stuart
17-11-13, 08:09 AM
Where the hell do people get the idea that turbo and carbs is 'best of both worlds' lol its not like you get carb intake noise etc.