PDA

View Full Version : first winter breakdown!

marc69
13-11-13, 06:38 PM
My ignition barrel packed up at work today, the key just turned freely and nothing happened, so to get home I removed the cowling and wired it, no one came and asked if it was my car!

Of course then once I was home, to switch it off I had to remove the igition lead from the coil to switch the car off then remove the battery terminal....fun.

Anyway, does anyone know if the bit that sticks out the bottom of the barrel and goes into the plastic switch bit is transferrable? Just would save going down the normal Nova route of multiple keys?

Benn
13-11-13, 06:55 PM
Just cause its winter, does that really matter? Never heard of one packing up in that way either...

MK999
13-11-13, 07:13 PM
Breakdowns do tend to ramp up a bit in winter, bit of cold and everything contracts/expands a bit more, things sieze and get damp etc... not noticed the increasing amount of french things littering the side of the road? lol

Rage
13-11-13, 07:59 PM
i've got nothing yet but my cav did decide to try me with a nearly flat battery a couple of weeks ago but she does sit all week so nothing unexpected really. my novavan has been good so far just had the first frosted windscreen this morning and that's it so far but there is still plenty of time

Andy
13-11-13, 08:20 PM
why didn't you just remove the blackbox,and turn that with the key? instead of ballsing around wiring it,potentially risking a fire??

Andy
13-11-13, 08:21 PM
not noticed the increasing amount of french things littering the side of the road? lol
Mcdonalds are American.....

marc69
13-11-13, 08:49 PM
why didn't you just remove the blackbox,and turn that with the key? instead of ballsing around wiring it,potentially risking a fire??
There was no way I'd be able to access the screws that hold the black box in quickly with no proper tools, and there was no risk of fire, just held the starter terminal onto the live to turn the starter etc.

marc69
13-11-13, 08:51 PM
Just cause its winter, does that really matter? Never heard of one packing up in that way either...

I've never had that before either, the bit that pertruds snapped but not with force so it must have been breaking for a while, just irritating.

Thought it was funny that no-one seemed bothered about me removing cowling and sitting holding connections too get it started.

Andy
13-11-13, 08:53 PM
Just break it off,easier to get a new blackbox than faff repairing wires.

marc69
13-11-13, 08:56 PM
Just break it off,easier to get a new blackbox than faff repairing wires.

As I wasn't actually thieving it I removed the starter spade from the black box so no wire damage and now that another barrel and black box are in, just put the spade back in, but I know what you mean, if I didn't know which one and then started cutting wires....

brainsnova
13-11-13, 08:57 PM
The bit that sticks is part of the lock barrel but you could swap over the lock slides

marc69
13-11-13, 09:08 PM
The bit that sticks is part of the lock barrel but you could swap over the lock slides

Thanks, I have no idea about locks, what is the lock slide? When you say it is part of the barrel, does that mean the key bit is part of it so probably not possible to swap?

I only have to use two keys for this Nova which is pretty rare, but now if I am up to three, more normal lol

Andy
13-11-13, 09:13 PM
ah I though you meant you were sat slicing wires up lol

marc69
13-11-13, 09:19 PM
ah I though you meant you were sat slicing wires up lol

Cars too precious for that (hope you can hear gollam say "precious")...and too much bother to tidy it all up after

Alex J
14-11-13, 08:59 AM
just do the old hazard light trick lol

marc69
14-11-13, 12:37 PM
just do the old hazard light trick lol

It's a mk1