PDA

View Full Version : Engine running cool all the time

karisma
11-11-13, 09:21 PM
I've got a 1984 1.2 8v saloon

Noticed recently that it runs really cold. I leave it for a good while in the morning to warm up as I have no choice but to use it to get to work.

Even when I get going down the road the needle never goes past the blue section. It's definitely been to around the middle of the gauge in my ownership but not recently.

I know the gauges are known to be inaccurate but the heaters do get warm but not as good as they have been.

Cant see see a thermostat in the usual places. Car drives fine but I want everything spot on of corse.

Also the previous owner said he blocked up half the saloon grille in winter as it's so free flowing and open to keep the heat in the engine.

Any help is appreciated

7ova
11-11-13, 09:36 PM
The thermostat is behind the cam belt and cam belt covers

Follow the top rad hose on the drivers side.
I wouldn't advise you to have a go if you don't know
What your doing.
While your there get the cam belt and water pump changed
Hope this helps stu

Southie
11-11-13, 09:41 PM
I use to put a sheet of card wrapped in foil in front of my radiator in winter on my old 1.0 20 years ago to keep the heat in, that was only because the radiator needed replacing though.

Andy
11-11-13, 09:57 PM
thermostat is stuck open no doubt.

millworm
11-11-13, 09:58 PM
Mine takes ages too, just the fact it's cold outside to start with and you have the heaters on mate, you can always buy a hotter running thermostat though if it bothers you that much.

therealnovaboy
11-11-13, 10:27 PM
Have you checked the level of the coolant?

karisma
12-11-13, 06:19 AM
Yeah level of coolant is fine. Does need antifreeze putting in though

karisma
12-11-13, 11:51 AM
Started car up 10mins before I left for work. Usual happened with it only reaching top of blue section. But I checked the hoses once I got to work and the top rad hose was really hard and hot and the big rad hose above the gearbox was soft and only warm.

Andy
12-11-13, 12:51 PM
are the heaters warm?

karisma
12-11-13, 02:49 PM
Yeah.

Andy
12-11-13, 03:13 PM
gotta be a faulty gauge or sensor.
test the gauge and then test the sensor.
simple tests.