PDA

View Full Version : tyre pressure for track

marc69
09-11-13, 04:55 PM
I am running 14/185/55 budget tyres on my xe and noticed the side wall is all rubbed, over an inch meaning the sidewall is bending on cornering.

I normally run on about 18psi but wondered should I consider going to somewhere near 24 psi to give the tyre wall more strength? Or will I loose grip which is an issue already..budget tyres!

These were fine with the 1.4 but the xe with more weight and power these tyres are rubbish so .......as soon as they are worn out I will be asking advice on wheel choice and reasonably priced tyres.

Stuart
09-11-13, 05:06 PM
18!!!!!!!?!?!?!!!!?!! No wonder they are running badly.

i would suggest that nothing. All fix your problems other than fitting good tyres.

dc1984
09-11-13, 05:22 PM
It's called knockhill lean ;)
you going up tomorrow for the trackday mate?

david.

marc69
09-11-13, 05:31 PM
Yeah, will be there, you?

I am unsure what pressure to go for though!

dc1984
09-11-13, 05:37 PM
I'm sure Scott with the loon just keeps his about 28psi mate.
nah I won't be able to make it unfortunately but hope its a decent day for yous.
there are a good few lads from my way going. Possibly 2 turbo novas aswel as the loon and a few scoobys.

chris gsi
09-11-13, 07:30 PM
On my xe I use to run 195/50/15 toyo r888 and had them set at 24psi front and 18psi on the rear they were when the tyres were cold

Stuart
09-11-13, 07:53 PM
On my xe I use to run 195/50/15 toyo r888 and had them set at 24psi front and 18psi on the rear they were when the tyres were cold

Thats the thing though, you were on semi decent rubber and not super crap tyres...

therealnovaboy
09-11-13, 09:21 PM
if they are super crap tyres put in what it recomends on the tyre wall. adjust it to suit i wouldnt go less than about -3 psi. take a foot pump youll soon find whats best.

marc69
09-11-13, 09:22 PM
Well they are on 24 at the front now, track tomorrow so will see how they do but yes Stuart, you are right, budget tyres are useless for the power and weight.

marc69
09-11-13, 09:25 PM
if they are super crap tyres put in what it recomends on the tyre wall. adjust it to suit i wouldnt go less than about -3 psi. take a foot pump youll soon find whats best.

They are marangonis (never heard of them before) but were brilliant with the 1.4, I even had one of the rears cocked up a few times on the track but have never pushed cornering the same in the xe, just doesn't feel grippy enough so I'm now saving for the next rubbers!

therealnovaboy
09-11-13, 09:27 PM
good tyres is about the best mod you can buy. once you get better tyres youll want more power.

marc69
09-11-13, 09:34 PM
good tyres is about the best mod you can buy. once you get better tyres youll want more power.
You haven't been in it yet, the power isn't bad at all, I did a lot of suspension work and complete new brakes so really the only thing I haven't done is the tyres but I reckon that they will only do one or more track days anyway so I'll be patient.

How's your Nova going?

therealnovaboy
09-11-13, 09:47 PM
Well if it's good now it'll be even better with track tyres.

Mines going well. It's never missed a beat all year, had some great weekends/races. It's under sorn now till next year. Got plenty to do to it in the mean time though.

dc1984
10-11-13, 10:18 PM
How did you get on today mate?

marc69
10-11-13, 11:40 PM
How did you get on today mate?

It was ok thanks, very slidy in the morning but the track dried out a little bit in the afternoon although I still had plenty of wee slides.
Other than that the car went well, especially in the straights.

Few ****s there though, especially one mx5 who i left miles behind on every straight but his cornering seemed really good and he decided to overtake me on one corner on the gravel, I had to stop so that me and the other cars didn't end up in a smash as we came out the corner...I was furious!
Funnily in the next session when I made sure I was miles away from him, he came off the track in a 1 car spectacular, what a surprise.

dc1984
11-11-13, 08:15 PM
Hahaha the joys of knockhill eh mate, always best to keep away from the looneys .