PDA

View Full Version : Lowering nova

steveo135
07-11-13, 06:22 PM
Hi

i have a 2.0 16v in my nova, with the added weight of the engine, what would you recommend lowering by any pics also would be good. I want it to be drivable not silly low. Currently has spam (correction SPAX hahaha) coil overs on that I'm taking off.

dgbnova#1
07-11-13, 06:27 PM
Try chicken nugget shocks there far better than the spam ones ........

Sorry could not resist. Think it's the rating that you need to think about see a lot on here about 300 lb springs but I'm not sure of the best shock spring combo

steveo135
07-11-13, 06:41 PM
Haha.... Stupid predicted text on the iPad.

Alex J
07-11-13, 07:23 PM
http://louisianarecord.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/CE_GS_EMC_Approval_Angle_Grinder.jpg

dgbnova#1
07-11-13, 07:36 PM
Ooooooooo old school ^

Pitty u did not take one of them to ure bike lol

Benn
07-11-13, 11:26 PM
Why are you taking the Spax coilovers off?

steveo135
08-11-13, 11:59 AM
they were on the car when i got it and not liking them. haha

Iain
08-11-13, 12:04 PM
Is it the colour that is concerning you?

You need to think more about spring rates to cope with the additional weight and not so much the height, as dgb said. At least with coilovers you can lower it until it becomes impractical on the roads.

steveo135
08-11-13, 12:39 PM
Er Yeah..............

Would just prefer original but uprated suspension. What do you guys recomend?

therealnovaboy
08-11-13, 01:07 PM
you get what you pay for. youll have to comprimise. generally a good handling setup can give you a good ride quality. a cheep setup will never give you both. If you want a car that handles really well you will sacrafice comfort or have to drive on smooth roads. With good ARB, corner weight and geometry set up you can acheive alot more.

Popular shocks seem to be spax rsx, AVO and GAZ. Each much the same really but its the spring weight choice that will make the best of these and since these are adjustable you can set them up as per spring choice.

Youll need to find out what spring weights people are using for big blocks. or you can buy a kit and try and work it out the best spring rates your self.

I had the standard spring rate RSX's and they were pretty good for the road, decent comfort and handling (in a small block). However it had too much body roll and had to up the spring rates. Now it handles well but isnt as comfortable. as mentioned with better ARB setup i would probably have kept some comfort.

steveo135
08-11-13, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Benn
09-11-13, 07:41 AM
I'd say stay away from spax, i found them to be utter shi*e.

therealnovaboy
09-11-13, 12:54 PM
I'd say stay away from spax, i found them to be utter shi*e.

In what way?

NathanKirkpatrick
09-11-13, 03:23 PM
Invest in a set of Gaz coilovers (golds) in your case, seeing as your running a redtop.. I'm running Gaz GHA' s in my 1.6 GTE and they are unbelievably good. Couldn't have invested on anything better...

Pm the likes of Benn, Nick, LeeH etc who built there novas from ground up they would recommend the proper set-up..

Best of luck anyways buddy :)

steveo135
09-11-13, 08:17 PM
Thanks again.

Invest in a set of Gaz coilovers (golds) in your case, seeing as your running a redtop.. I'm running Gaz GHA' s in my 1.6 GTE and they are unbelievably good. Couldn't have invested on anything better...

Pm the likes of Benn, Nick, LeeH etc who built there novas from ground up they would recommend the proper set-up..

Best of luck anyways buddy :)

Benn
11-11-13, 07:37 AM
In what way?

I had Spax rsx kit, the ride was just hard and crashey. Instead of firm, even on the softest setting. Then they started too leak with in 500miles.
Most peoples start to leak From what i've read.