PDA

View Full Version : Blocked fuel filler pipe?

steg1970
18-10-13, 03:47 PM
I don't believe it, I've just put the rally car on the trailer in readiness for this weekends Cheviot Rally and I thought, I know I'll fill the fuel tank from a jerry car so I can refill it tomorrow. It took me 20 mins to get 20 litres down the filler pipe, I tried pushing a piece of ridged pipe down to clear it but it's no better. I thought the plastic ball may have stuck but even giving it a good wack doesn't shift, no time to take it to bits now, any ideas for a fix?

chris862
18-10-13, 06:40 PM
Is your breather pipe kinked? I had this problem!

craig green
23-10-13, 06:53 PM
It wont be the filler neck, but the breather pipe running intoi the side of the neck from tank thats blocked or kinked. I've been there & had the frustrating dilemma of barely getting £2quid of fuel in at the forecourt.
I dont think the OEM pipe is available anymore, it is moulded with a 90deg bend on the tank end, which is why when people use generic straight hose, it kinks over & causes the issues you describe. I bodged together a 90deg pipe fitting & made it work but iirc space is tight & it is fiddly to make it work.

steg1970
24-10-13, 08:31 PM
I've got this sorted, it turned out it was the plastic ball in the tank that is getting stuck, I freed it with a piece of ridged hose. I got the rally completed without any problems but the plastic ball will be removed this week.

dgbnova#1
24-10-13, 09:23 PM
The ball stops fuel running up the pipe on tight bends not to good an idea to remove it imho

steg1970
25-10-13, 02:01 PM
Mmm good point, I might have to look into this further.