PDA

View Full Version : hazard switch,can i replace it with a normal on/of switch?

redtoop
16-10-13, 09:38 PM
Hello can someone help? I have a mk2 redtop nova and i have a carlton gsi 3000 trip computer which i am away to fit in were the old clock and hazard switch is mostly just for the clock and temp also it will look nice with the digi dash but my query is there away to just rig the hazords to a normal on/off switch and why are there so much wires going to the switch? what are they all for? my hazard switch doesn't work anyway.

marc69
16-10-13, 09:53 PM
Sorry to give you bad news but the indicators etc are all wired through that switch. There is a thread in the articles section on how to repair these hazard switches as they are rubbish.

redtoop
16-10-13, 10:07 PM
OK thanks bud will see if i can some how relocate the switch but will be a bit hard going by the shape of the thing haha away to find the thread on how to sort the switch.

marc69
16-10-13, 10:16 PM
Last year my track Nova had no dashoard, I put the switch below the sterring cowling, just a cable tie holding round the body attached to a mounting point in the car was stale enough for the switch to still function, and pass an MOT

Peredur
17-10-13, 11:31 AM
If you look at the diagram in the back of a haynes manual, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace it with a DPST switch. Can't remember off the top of my head now but it's fairly simple

redtoop
17-10-13, 06:30 PM
Thanks folks,my switch had been hacked to fook as all the insides are missing but i got a new switch today and still no hazards or indicators! I found a relay missing and found three in the cubby ,tryd them and still no joy also all fuses are present and all fine can anyone tell me which relay is the hazards,how mutch pins does it have and i take it that the same relay works the indicators

redtoop
18-10-13, 07:35 PM
Thanks folks,my switch had been hacked to fook as all the insides are missing but i got a new switch today and still no hazards or indicators! I found a relay missing and found three in the cubby ,tryd them and still no joy also all fuses are present and all fine can anyone tell me which relay is the hazards,how mutch pins does it have and i take it that the same relay works the indicators PROBLEM solved,after spending all night and morning before my work online i found fook all,so i robbed all the relays from a omega at my work and found out that the middle front relay with three pins is the hazards and indiys and now all working fine.If anyone has any problem with the nova hazard switch just to let you no the omega switch is exacly the same you just swap the plastic front bit over,And after all this i blow up my trip computer haha sickner.

brainsnova
18-10-13, 07:40 PM
Ah that's a shame I was going to say use a mk2 Astra switch as you drill a hole and it clips in like a headlight switch

redtoop
18-10-13, 07:46 PM
Ah that's a shame I was going to say use a mk2 Astra switch as you drill a hole and it clips in like a headlight switch I got my one from a carlton gsi3000 and i had just cut the wires in a rush so had to try and match the wires and got a far as clock on,lights on,top half on and clock setting untill i touched the yellow wire of the live and pop with a burnt silicon smell,gutted took it apart in hope it had a build in fuse but nope strait in the bin she now stays.And ebay hear we go lol.