PDA

View Full Version : seam welding

NathanKirkpatrick
14-10-13, 05:44 PM
Can anyone help me with this?

It's only after popping into my head there now. I remember a lad doing it to his Nova but I'm not to sure what it does and what you gain from it etc. My Nova is currently getting a make over and if anyone suggests that seem welding is worth doing then I'll probably consider it

Thanks...

tomfromdelmonte
14-10-13, 07:23 PM
Only worth it if youre building a rally car or intend to put a very powerfull engine in there. It makes the chassis stronger/more rigid.

tomfromdelmonte
14-10-13, 07:25 PM
Its also a fairly massive undertaking. Have a look at my project thread. The seams have seam sealer in them which will ruin and contaminate the weld. All the sealer has to be removed first before any attempt to weld. This is a huge job and ideally the shell should be shot-blasted first.

Its not something you would just do off the cuff!

NathanKirkpatrick
14-10-13, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info men...

Pistol Pete
14-10-13, 08:03 PM
Not as much work as the posts above make out IMO. I did mine and the plating kit. All down the personal preference i guess. Didn't fancy fitting a 2.0 engine to a bay that was never designed to hold it. Stops it tearing itself apart too lol

Theres a thread in the articles section with pics etc of what other shave done.

Nobby
15-10-13, 12:58 PM
piece of piss mate, strip bay out so you can see and access all seams, use a heat gun to soften sealer, scrape it off then ua wire brush into a drill or use a sanding discs on a grinder to clear the excess, make sure you strip the inside so no fires etc. Remember weldling is the easy but prepping is the main concern. Theres enough people on here like myself could do it in our sleep lol

turbojolt
15-10-13, 02:28 PM
fecking hell you would make buttering toast sound difficult lol

burgo
15-10-13, 03:35 PM
Only mk2's had sealer in between the seems. Another reason mk1's are far superior ;)

Pistol Pete
15-10-13, 03:37 PM
Really? Had no issues when welding mine....

And the mk2 had the updates from where the mk1 was a failure.....therefore making it superior...lol