PDA

View Full Version : Storing Nova over winter Do's and Dont's

conza123
11-10-13, 06:20 PM
Right im storing the nova over winter in a nice dry garage but just wondered what are the best things to do regarding covers etc as never done this thing before, and ive seen people on here putting them moisture traps in then car what else can i do.

many thanks connor

chrisd1986
11-10-13, 06:38 PM
Ive parked mine up in my lockup, no cover just a couple of them cheepo morrisons dehumidifiers and disconnected the battery its even ran out of fuel when I put it in there so its bye bye nova till 2014

Alex J
11-10-13, 06:45 PM
rub salt all over it , soak it inside with sea water, and place some fresh fish under each seat

chrisd1986
11-10-13, 06:52 PM
rub salt all over it , soak it inside with sea water, and place some fresh fish under each seat

Lol

BRoadGhost
11-10-13, 06:56 PM
Don't worry, petrol & matches will cure the moisture problem

joff-turbo-nova
11-10-13, 07:02 PM
Right im storing the nova over winter in a nice dry garage but just wondered what are the best things to do regarding covers etc as never done this thing before, and ive seen people on here putting them moisture traps in then car what else can i do.

many thanks connor

Have you got electricity in the garage? If so I would put in a oil radiator with a frost stat, which should take the chill off the temps , but could run up a big electricity bill at the same time!

Joff

conza123
11-10-13, 07:03 PM
lol can i have some sensible answers please

raf24
11-10-13, 07:09 PM
Dont leave the handbrake on as they are bad for seizing on

chrisd1986
11-10-13, 07:10 PM
Thats a good point

Alex J
11-10-13, 07:11 PM
isnt it in bits still? if so just take it in your bedroom lol

conza123
11-10-13, 07:11 PM
Dont leave the handbrake on as they are bad for seizing on
was gonna do that anyway, is it worth draining tank so theres hardly anything in there

EwanG
11-10-13, 07:12 PM
I you car is rust free a wee bit off damp should not affect it. Mines is rust free and has been stored in a dry (not heated garage for 2 winters now) and has not deteriorated. You could buy a carcoon if you have a 240v power supply but will run off your 12v battery and also charge your 12v if connected to the 240v. Just google carcoon for the site and of the sellers and reviews. It would be a good investment for £400. :)

conza123
11-10-13, 07:14 PM
isnt it in bits still? if so just take it in your bedroom lol

It is at the mo, but when it goes back together im putting it in my nan's garage for winter as got another car now

EwanG
11-10-13, 07:14 PM
I you car is rust free a wee bit off damp should not affect it. Mines is rust free and has been stored in a dry (not heated garage for 2 winters now) and has not deteriorated. You could buy a carcoon if you have a 240v power supply but will run off your 12v battery and also charge your 12v if connected to the 240v. Just google carcoon for the site and of the sellers and reviews. It would be a good investment for £400. :)
Oh and silly cheap to run as it is a 12v motor.

raf24
11-10-13, 07:17 PM
was gonna do that anyway, is it worth draining tank so theres hardly anything in there
I've never drained the tank on mine & its always been fine

novadave24
11-10-13, 07:21 PM
I have my nova in my garage I just got the windows down a bit and sunroof up a bit smells ok to me inside and mine still has fuel in it as well

gary_126
11-10-13, 10:49 PM
Fit some old steel wheels (so your tyres don't get flat spots),
Make sure the garage is ventilated (stops condensation, putting vents into my dads workshop cured the condensation on frosty mornings instantly)
Fill the petrol tank (stops condensation in the tank rotting it inside out)
Leave the handbrake off
Put plastic tubs half full of salt in the interior (I usually put one in pass foot well, one behind drivers seat and one on the shelf or boot. The salt attracts any moisture in the interior and stops mould. change this every few months or more frequent if required.)
Disconect the battery and charge it every few weeks.

Pistol Pete
11-10-13, 10:59 PM
I sorted mine the other week. Washed it and let it fully dry. Shut the doors and bootlid on first latch. Rear windows popped open and sunroof in tilt position. This will allow some air whilst cover is on. Battery is in my daily vectra as the original was buggered. Block of wood behind the wheel and handbrake off. lol i always park it that way anyway! Dont bother with salt, moisture traps etc. Never had an issue tbh.

conza123
11-10-13, 11:16 PM
Fit some old steel wheels (so your tyres don't get flat spots),
Make sure the garage is ventilated (stops condensation, putting vents into my dads workshop cured the condensation on frosty mornings instantly)
Fill the petrol tank (stops condensation in the tank rotting it inside out)
Leave the handbrake off
Put plastic tubs half full of salt in the interior (I usually put one in pass foot well, one behind drivers seat and one on the shelf or boot. The salt attracts any moisture in the interior and stops mould. change this every few months or more frequent if required.)
Disconect the battery and charge it every few weeks.

I sorted mine the other week. Washed it and let it fully dry. Shut the doors and bootlid on first latch. Rear windows popped open and sunroof in tilt position. This will allow some air whilst cover is on. Battery is in my daily vectra as the original was buggered. Block of wood behind the wheel and handbrake off. lol i always park it that way anyway! Dont bother with salt, moisture traps etc. Never had an issue tbh.

Thank you,

so cover or no cover

Sab4019
11-10-13, 11:25 PM
Read through a few replies on this thread, thanks for the information guys!

A11VXL
11-10-13, 11:25 PM
I used a breathable cover on my green one to stop the dust, however I made sure the garage was well vented and when I found it wasn't I put in a dehumidifier, also dropped the windows as raised the sunroof.

brainsnova
12-10-13, 12:14 AM
I left my jag for 3 years in a garage and the back window on the car got smashed as the garage had no roof lol apart from water inside and the leather had went a bit mouldy it was fine. Solid floors and started up first time

Pistol Pete
12-10-13, 08:10 AM
I have a cover on mine. Bought it off eBay. Has a "fleece type" lining lol

novadave24
12-10-13, 03:19 PM
I used a cover and the poxy thing could not breath lol so it came off

chris862
12-10-13, 10:12 PM
Wussies! http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/chrisyeg/noova/DSCF8982_zpsf335e87a.jpg

Unfortunately mines going through another winter this year as my only car, they rust I mean run best when being used! :thumb:

brainsnova
12-10-13, 10:47 PM
Just cut gimp holes in the cover lol