PDA

View Full Version : Front ate calipers stuck on?

novathere
10-10-13, 03:05 PM
Problem after problem atm!

Ive got the 2.0 16v brake set up on my nova but it suddenly won't move! I've only ever pushed it around the garage as it didn't have a engine in but for some reason in can hardly turn the discs. Evan looks like the bottom on the caliper is touching the disc?

when I Slacked the bolts that hold the caliper on it frees it up but when I tighten them again it's back to being locked?

wtf is going on???

meritlover
10-10-13, 04:31 PM
pins must be seized.

Novasport
10-10-13, 05:15 PM
They are stainless steel pins in rubber sleeves so it is not likely that they are siezed. Possibly the piston siezed. Have you touched the pedal linkage. If adjusted incorrectly it can lock the brakes on.

Nick J
10-10-13, 07:46 PM
This may sound daft but what wheels are you using? I've had a set of allesios catch on a v6 caliper and the car wouldn't budge an inch! May make sense as to why once the wheel bolts are nipped tight clearance is lost?

Edit ..... I misread caliper bolts for wheel bolts! Ah well worth a mention!

Nick.

novathere
10-10-13, 09:53 PM
I'm gonna guess something's seized as I took the wheel off and it's still stuck! I have only changed the calipers and discs over didn't touch anything else. I've put the standard 10p brakes back on and there fine. A total mystery to me! Will take them apart and update if it's any use to anyone! Thanks for you advise all

meritlover
10-10-13, 11:35 PM
the pins always seize, its the O-rings that swell and jam. not corrosion.

xx

jimbob-mcgrew
11-10-13, 01:11 AM
ive run into a few that have caused me problems. I usually get a big ol' set of grips and squeeze the piston back in, then use the footpedal to push It back out. (not too far out that it pops out of its housing, but a good way out)

if you can get the piston back in without having a hernia. repeat the in and out process 10 or so times to free it up.

give it a go, see what happens. sometimes you dont have any joy and they are too far gone to recover and need a refurb kit.

Novasport
11-10-13, 01:17 AM
the pins always seize, its the O-rings that swell and jam. not corrosion.

xx

There are no 'O' rings. They are a rubber sleeve on ATE's

jimbob-mcgrew
11-10-13, 01:29 AM
I think lover boys talking about the piston seal, they sometimes go all higgledy-piggedly. ive seen some beef up like they've been fed on a diet of pork pies, and others disintegrate like prisoners of war