PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Nova Knowledge Required!

DanCoombs
29-09-13, 02:30 PM
Okay, so as i mentioned in my previous thread I will soon be looking for a Nova. I know a bit about them from when I had mine plus I've just been researching in general but it's always best to ask the enthusiasts! I know the obvious stuff to look out for like boot floor, battery tray and arches. But what else is recommended to pay close attention to? I also have a few different variants I wouldn't mind owning so maybe a bit of advice on how much I'd be looking on spending and the chances of actually finding one! I want a low mileage one under 50k if possible, in good condition. You know, the sort of ones you see that have been owned by one person since new and garaged for ever! lol Either a white, red, black or maybe blue SR or SRI. Alternatively a red, black or silk violet GTE or GSI. I don't mind getting one thats had some bits and bobs done to it, maybe owned by an enthusiast but I don't want a £300 nail! The final option is get a 1.2 fling/trip or whatever and build a rep. What can i expect to pay for each variant in the condition I want and how hard will they be to find?

Thanks in advance!

Benn
29-09-13, 02:45 PM
Front shock turrets, (seams in bay and in wheel arch) Behind and under headlights.

GTE/GSI very hard to find a mint one.
SR/SRI almost just as hard.

A 1lt/1.2 will be the easier way as they will be better looked after and not abused. (ladies and family cars and such)

Price, £150 up to £2500.

DanCoombs
29-09-13, 03:38 PM
Okay thank you. I guess the advantage of having a 1.0/1.2 would be cheap insurance. Where can I get bumpers, skirts, decals and stuff if I were to make a GSI rep?

lee 16v
29-09-13, 03:52 PM
Mate, I would just keep an eye out for a car you like, really nice novas pop up from time to time.
There was a nice looking red gte with a 2.0 16v on ebay for some time. Dont know if it sold in the end.

Benn
29-09-13, 09:37 PM
If you dont mind spending you can still get alot of bits new, if your on abit of a budget/dont need or want new then the for sale pages on here are great.

DanCoombs
02-10-13, 10:13 PM
Okay thanks, think I'm guna do as you've suggested. Wait until I find a mint 1.0 or 1.2 (unless a immaculate sr, sri, gte or gsi happens to pop up) just need to persuade the old man to let me use his garage when I'm away!lol

blue_peg_16v
02-10-13, 10:25 PM
I know where there is a nice red gte 16v that could be for sale be keeps threatening to sell it its not the one that was on the bay

craig green
04-10-13, 04:47 PM
Heres my opinion.
The desirable sporty models, quite frankly deteriorate far worse than the base models, mainly due to the nature of the owners & typically having more use.
I also think you will be incredibly lucky to find an SRi or GSi that is at the mileage you desire or an owner that would part with it.
Regarding inspections & looking for rot etc, it's not just a matter of looking in the suspect areas, but knowing how the rot starts & the nature in which to poke or how deep to look. (an OK looki9ng battery tray can be rotten as a pear from above the pedals/fuse box within the cabin)

The bottom line is that I think almost any Nova deserves a renovation nowadays, starting with a good shell is THE most important thing.

DanCoombs
07-10-13, 08:28 AM
I know where there is a nice red gte 16v that could be for sale be keeps threatening to sell it its not the one that was on the bay
If it's the one that's come up on the classifieds on here it looks awesome! But I think I'm going to go down the route of doing it myself. I've really enjoyed building my astra (although very stressful at times) I want the car to be known in the nova world as mine. Don't want to take credit for someone else's hard work.

Heres my opinion.
The desirable sporty models, quite frankly deteriorate far worse than the base models, mainly due to the nature of the owners & typically having more use.
I also think you will be incredibly lucky to find an SRi or GSi that is at the mileage you desire or an owner that would part with it.
Regarding inspections & looking for rot etc, it's not just a matter of looking in the suspect areas, but knowing how the rot starts & the nature in which to poke or how deep to look. (an OK looki9ng battery tray can be rotten as a pear from above the pedals/fuse box within the cabin)

The bottom line is that I think almost any Nova deserves a renovation nowadays, starting with a good shell is THE most important thing.

I think getting a base model really is going to be my best option as you say. I won't be paying £6000/waiting years for one I'd be happy with too. As for looking for rot I should be able to distinguish between the good and the bad, I'm a trained mechanic so know my way around a car. Was just wondering if there was any places to pay close attention to but they've been listed now :) renovation wise I want to completely strip it back to a shell and go from there, then I know it'd be a good firm base! Be nice to find myself one before my christmas leave as I'll have 2 weeks off to get my hands dirty!