PDA

View Full Version : Noisey antiroll bar or strut mounts

marc69
18-09-13, 10:09 PM
My SR makes a single knock when the weight shifts from one side to the other on (the very occasional of course)hard corner, it has always done this, I mentioned it to bazzap who thinks it may be the top mounts in the struts.

My 1.4 track car used to do exactly the same, at the time I thought it was something related to the antiroll bar, I have since removed the struts etc to the xe and it doesn't make this noise at all, but the antiroll bar is lowered on this car.

Can an antiroll bar set up make this noise or is Bazzap right?

If he is, is there anything I can do to prevent them from getting worse (apart from cornering very slowly) lol

meritlover
18-09-13, 10:13 PM
have you tried turning the radio up?

marc69
18-09-13, 10:46 PM
have you tried turning the radio up?
Yes, I just want to prevent anything if their is a problem starting rather than out in the frost fighting with the car, i am slowly getting through the faults though with everyone's help and advice. Of course, will the radio now break lol?

meritlover
19-09-13, 07:38 AM
sometimes fitting a louder radio can help cure noises.

other than that, check all the engine and gearbox mounts, drop links, bushes, balljoints, strut-tops etc.

if there all fine then fit an amp and 6x9's

Iain
19-09-13, 08:54 AM
It could be the ARB hitting something I guess? How close is it to the exhaust?

Easiest way to see if to remove the ARB and see if it still makes the noise!

meritlover
19-09-13, 10:23 AM
or remove the exhaust.

lee 16v
19-09-13, 10:38 AM
Stop letting fat chicks in your car

Edd
19-09-13, 11:52 AM
or remove the exhaust.

Stop dribbling crap ffs

meritlover
19-09-13, 12:27 PM
Stop dribbling crap ffs

I dont understand.

GRUNT 16V
19-09-13, 12:35 PM
I say lower ball joint

marc69
19-09-13, 04:20 PM
ok, I need to check the lower ball joint, jack up car and move joint looking for play?

there was no play noticed for MOT in April but maybe there isn't enough movement for them to have noticed.

dan23
20-09-13, 09:35 PM
do you have fixed or adjustable top mounts

marc69
20-09-13, 10:20 PM
It's all standard so i assume that's fixed

marc69
05-10-13, 10:20 PM
I jacked the car up today and had a probe. The ball joint on the passenger side has movem,ent so i assuem that's the noise.

It is moving within the pinch of the hub, is it the nut and bolt that has to be replaced and the pinch heated so it moves in tighter or do the ball joints get slack at this point with wear?

If it is putting on a new balljoint which looks easy enough, does tracking etc have t be checked afterwards or should it all be fine?

Thanks

paul james
05-10-13, 11:02 PM
If it is putting on a new balljoint which looks easy enough, does tracking etc have t be checked afterwards or should it all be fine?

Thanks

Its the track rod end (end of steering arm) that adjusts tracking, so if your not removing that then you'll be fine.

therealnovaboy
05-10-13, 11:30 PM
It depends if it was tracked when if it had the play in the balljoint or not. if it still drives straight chances are itll be fine.

Also check its not the hub taper thats worn. if the pinch bolt has been loose a while, it could have wrecked the taper.

marc69
05-10-13, 11:34 PM
It depends if it was tracked when if it had the play in the balljoint or not. if it still drives straight chances are itll be fine.

Also check its not the hub taper thats worn. if the pinch bolt has been loose a while, it could have wrecked the taper.

Thanks, i assume the only way to really test the taper is by putting another balljoint in?

If it is the taper then I assume it means a replacement hub?

Will a 1992 1.2i hub (from my scrapped chav mobile) be the same as a 1989 SR?

therealnovaboy
05-10-13, 11:39 PM
yes all the hubs are the same inc corsa B.

you could pull out the balljoint first. if the pin looks ok and it tightens when you nip up the pinch bolt you might be ok.

did you try and nip up the pinch bolt? you might want to pull the bolt out out and clean it up then re tighten it. the threads might be goosed. At least you can do that without taking the wheels off.

marc69
05-10-13, 11:51 PM
I did wonder if that was worth a try too! I'll take the nut and bolt of from one of the 1.2i hubs (I took them off the car complete with strut lol) clen it and see.

Thanks

yes all the hubs are the same inc corsa B.

you could pull out the balljoint first. if the pin looks ok and it tightens when you nip up the pinch bolt you might be ok.

did you try and nip up the pinch bolt? you might want to pull the bolt out out and clean it up then re tighten it. the threads might be goosed. At least you can do that without taking the wheels off.

therealnovaboy
05-10-13, 11:59 PM
you might need two jacks as the ARB might pull the balljoint out the hub and its a d!ck to get back in if you only jack up one side.

I might be havering

marc69
06-10-13, 12:01 AM
Thanks, I'll just jack the two for all the time it takes