PDA

View Full Version : Converting petrol Nova to diesel

Johnny A
17-09-13, 09:34 PM
Hey guys, at this stage I am looking at my options. TD Novas were rare to begin with and finding a cheap nice one is pretty impossible so I thought about converting a petrol model.

What I know:
The O/S engine mount sits inside the chassis rail
The engine requires only a positive feed to the fuel pump solenoid to run
Certain things in the bay are positioned differently (expansion tank, airbox)

Things I am not sure on:
A petrol fuel tank will suffice but does the factory TD tank have an internal swirl pot??
Apart from the CC increase between the Nova/Corsa 1.5TD and the Cavalier/Astra3 1.7TD is there any other differences that would cause a fitment issue? Also it is even worth it? (As the 1.5 engine is the cheaper tax bracket)
How is the rev counter driven on these engines??
Driven at the same speeds/acceleration is there is big gain (economy wise) to fitting a 1.5TD over an XE lump??

Cheers for your help guys :thumb:

Southie
17-09-13, 09:41 PM
Some info in here, also some nonscence as well lol
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?162165-Converting-nova-from-petrol-to-diesel-whats-needed

meritlover
17-09-13, 09:53 PM
rev counter is triggered from the alternator.

a well thrashed 1.5TD will get about 55MPG all day long.

burgo
17-09-13, 10:20 PM
The 1.7 conversion is a lot more work than think

Johnny A
17-09-13, 10:32 PM
Yeah I think it's not worth the extra effort

bazil
17-09-13, 10:37 PM
Dont make the mistake of thinking you can just cut a derv mount into a petrol chassis leg, it will simply rip apart.

Derv chassis legs are made thicker and have strengthened sections around the mount and along the full length of the inside of the leg.

Johnny A
17-09-13, 10:46 PM
Dont make the mistake of thinking you can just cut a derv mount into a petrol chassis leg, it will simply rip apart.

Derv chassis legs are made thicker and have strengthened sections around the mount and along the full length of the inside of the leg.

Noted :)

grooge
18-09-13, 10:21 AM
as already said the rev counter is run off the alternator. 1700 is more work than its worth imo. and economy difference is huge, i have a 15td nova and an xe corsa. standard 15td ive had 60mpg out of before, corsa is usually half that i think, i've never bothered working it out

burgo
18-09-13, 10:44 AM
I disagree. The 1.7 is well worth the effort

Johnny A
18-09-13, 10:46 AM
Youre only getting 30mpg from an xe corsa? Either you drive everywhere like a pissed off teenager or your engine needs some attention. I used to get 40mpg from my xe nova average and 50mpg on a motorway trip

grooge
18-09-13, 11:07 AM
like i said ive never worked it out, it might be more. i know it could do better, its a evening/weekend toy though, i never use it on motorways or commuting etc so its driven hard most of the time. i think it did 40s driving it back from essex when i first bought it.

ive had a few td's and all have given excellent mpg, no matter how hard you drive them.

lee 16v
18-09-13, 12:48 PM
There is a nova TD van on ebay

Johnny A
18-09-13, 06:42 PM
There is a nova TD van on ebay

Grey one? Owner is a right dick, it's a good 4 hr drive so I asked him if he wouldn't mind spending 10 mins checking out the usual rot areas etc.. He started having a go at me saying I was a time waster etc....

lee 16v
18-09-13, 06:47 PM
There was a white van

Johnny A
18-09-13, 06:56 PM
That one did look nice, but it was too expensive as was pretty much already modded. I like to put my own touch on a car as do most car modders.

lee 16v
18-09-13, 07:00 PM
Could you not get it for £1500? You could sell the bits you dont like and put your bits on. Looks a good little car

Johnny A
18-09-13, 07:58 PM
Trouble is at this stage i already have a rot free chassis, also never been a fan of the vans