PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 bottom end on 1.4 Sri head??

Aaron_G_1988
12-09-13, 06:51 AM
Hi iv got a 1.6 bottom end and put it on my 1.4sri head, just wondering if anyone has done this before?
Iv kept the Sri Ecu on as I put a 1.6 one on and it didn't work, my Sri head has a cam and been port and polished
Car starts and runs but is a bit smoky rich! And the lifters and making some noise when throttle is used or driven
Hope to find some help
Cheers aaron

Adam
12-09-13, 06:04 PM
Your CR will be uber high.

Aaron_G_1988
13-09-13, 09:34 AM
Is that compression ratio?

chrisd1986
13-09-13, 11:25 AM
Yes it is matey, oh by the way I want your slabs as they match my car lol

meritlover
13-09-13, 12:23 PM
fix the lifters,
use correct management,

Aaron_G_1988
18-09-13, 03:56 PM
Cheers mate and yea I had them done in Kawasaki green!

meritlover what managment can I use? Iv tried the 1.6 Ecu iv got and it didn't work Nd I swooped the chips and that didn't work!
the Ecu looks the same but the chips have different number

Aaron_G_1988
21-09-13, 03:31 PM
Can anyone help?

Aaron_G_1988
23-09-13, 04:09 PM
I got some videos of it running check them out please
go to www.youtube.com/crispybiskit got 2 vids on there

meritlover
23-09-13, 07:17 PM
how does this engine load/sense? is it MAP or alpha-N, because there is no MAF sensor connected to the TB.

Aaron_G_1988
23-09-13, 07:21 PM
It's map sensor got a brand new one I think

meritlover
23-09-13, 07:22 PM
have you tried fixing the lifters?

Aaron_G_1988
24-09-13, 10:44 AM
Not yet as I wanted to make sure the bottom end will work with the head! I'm sure it will as it starts and runs/drives! Not to sure how much lifters are for these, you got any ideas?
Also the smoking the engine does is weird! Iv done the stem seals and rebuilt the bottom end but the bores go eggy shape as the pistons go down! Not to sure if this is why it smokes! Iv done the rings, big ends and mains but wasn't till after I see what the bores are like!

Andy
24-09-13, 01:08 PM
lol what was the bore size and how did you measure it?

meritlover
24-09-13, 06:25 PM
........the smoking the engine does is weird!

...the bores go eggy shape as the pistons go down!

did you think to ask yourself how the piston ring is supposed to seal if you havent got parallel bores, or if the ring gap has to increase as it travels downwards?

excessive bore wear can cause piston slap, which may be the source of your noise if the wear is excessive....

Andy
24-09-13, 07:28 PM
Im waiting for how out it was on the dial bore gauge......cos that sounds as though it would do a full lap of the gauge lol

meritlover
24-09-13, 08:04 PM
the old skool way of measuring bores used to be with a set of rings.

measure the gap at the very top (which is fresh un worn bore)
then the middle
then the bottom.

use a ringless piston to ensure the ring is sitting square, then measure gap with feelers. you can do the maths to calculate the wear in terms of diameter (or clamp ring against feelers and measure with calipers),

or you can just tell the ring gap is too large to give a decent seal.

when using a bore gauge, you have to rock it in the bore and take the 'highest' measurement.

Aaron_G_1988
25-09-13, 02:43 PM
I didn't measure anything, I brought a 1.6 Astra for cheap with 70,000 on the clock sold loads of bits and basically payed nothing for the bottom end, then rebuilt it as I was bored and also had it honed, wasn't till after I built it and turned the crank I noticed the shape of the bore, the number on the engine was hammed so I'm thinking it has had an engine change in the Astra and it was a lot more then 70,000
I'm thinking about getting another bottom end and doing the same again, but don't want I spend more money and have the same problem again, with the smoking! Ill try and get a video of the car running and the smoking and see what you guys think

Andy
25-09-13, 02:45 PM
Without measuring things you are urinating into a tornado my friend

Aaron_G_1988
25-09-13, 02:50 PM
Also when the engine was in 2 the pistons as they rise fills the gap then as the piston goes down the gap gets bigger to the sides of the pistons to an eggy shape, it's not massive but my eye can see, I tried putting petrol in the bores and it didn't lose anything but under compression that could all be different! I think iv got pics of it somewhere as well so will try post them aswel!
I fort it was worth a try to built it all up still and run it to see if it was ok

Aaron_G_1988
25-09-13, 04:04 PM
Iv uploaded some more vids guys