PDA

View Full Version : dual mass flywheels ... why ?

1990GTEBOY
11-09-13, 06:49 PM
just short of 900 quid for a clutch and flywheel ? seriously ? wtf ? i know they are supposed to stop vibration and make a diesel drive more like a petrol but are they really a good idea . what difference would a solid fly make ? peugeot 307 xsi if it makes any odds .. rant over lol

mk1nova_rich
11-09-13, 07:06 PM
I've only ever heard bad things about them lol ridiculously expensive to replace too and seem to have a far shorter lifespan than conventional clutch/flywheel setup.

Funnily enough you can convert to a conventional setup so obviously a DMF isnt essential...probably just designed for women drivers lol anyone who can drive surely would manage fine without one

vx kev
11-09-13, 07:09 PM
just short of 900 quid for a clutch and flywheel ? seriously ? wtf ? i know they are supposed to stop vibration and make a diesel drive more like a petrol but are they really a good idea . what difference would a solid fly make ? peugeot 307 xsi if it makes any odds .. rant over lol

Just fitted a SMF Kit to a mates Vectra CDTI 150, it was rubbish. Noisey as anything, actually sounded like the engine was knackered. Clutch slipped and was difficult to go into gear, was a total waste of time. Just got a refund for it today having bought it from a company on well known auction site.
Ended up fitting a DMF and all was fine again. £400 for the full LUK kit.

Stuart
11-09-13, 07:48 PM
Like many things the oem's do, they are excellent during development and when the parts get productionised they go down the pan :( the transit/defender tdci engine was epic during development and then the world ended when they went into production :(

kent14sr
11-09-13, 07:52 PM
Converting to SMF from DMF can result in a broken crankshaft, as they are not designed to withstand excess vibration and are not as robust.

I waited till Euro Car Parts had a good discount offer on, so got the clutch kit/flywheel/concentric slave for less than £275 (for a Mondeo TDCi)

Rich
11-09-13, 08:12 PM
Awesome for my bonus, thanks vauxhall :)

They are pretty crap but alot of it is down to peoples driving as well! Thats no excuse, it should have been taken into consideration anyway!

brainsnova
11-09-13, 08:35 PM
Dmf and egr two swear words lol

Rage
11-09-13, 08:36 PM
we have loads of taxi's come into work mainly mondeo diesels that you can here the dmf is knackered i'll stick with the older smf battleships of the 90's thanks

Beano246
11-09-13, 08:59 PM
Dmf and egr two swear words lol

Dpf makes three lol

L14MNP
11-09-13, 09:14 PM
The one on my Mondeo has been rattling for about 10K miles.

When it sounds like a skeleton ****ing off inside a filing cabinet, I will change it. As above £350ish for the lot from LUK, inc. starter.

wwmnw
11-09-13, 09:17 PM
F*ck makes four :D

Sh!t bast@rd bollocks big bloody BOOBIES

wwmnw
11-09-13, 09:19 PM
When it sounds like a skeleton ****ing off inside a filing cabinet.

lol lol lol I like that

brainsnova
11-09-13, 10:58 PM
My van's solid flywheel :d the clutch kit and csc is only £150 and they don't eat starter motors lol

L14MNP
11-09-13, 11:11 PM
My van's solid flywheel :d the clutch kit and csc is only £150 and they don't eat starter motors lol

You may not get flywheel swarf in your starter motor, but you have more chance of flaking rust falling in there instead. lol

L14MNP
11-09-13, 11:12 PM
lol lol lol I like that

Or two skeletons having a sword fight inside of a biscuit tin, for when minors are present. lol

MiniManDan118
11-09-13, 11:58 PM
Ive had a single mass in my Polo TDI ever since I bought it, thats running just over 200bhp and 420nm torque. Its slightly noisier than standard but otherwise absolutely fine. Touch wood nothing has broken yet, but I am waiting for something to go pop eventually (it started life with 100bhp...) and ive done 15k miles on top of whatever the previous owner did.

Dual mass is effectively a flywheel connected to another flywheel via springs, the springs take up the sudden shock of each cylinder firing and allow a smoother delivery through the drivetrain. Theyve been used because of high torque 4 cylinder engines. If we all drove V8 diesels we wouldnt be having this conversation!

Benn
12-09-13, 09:34 AM
You can get kits to go back to a smf for almost all cars now. And alot of car makers have stopped using them.

It amazes me that something is knackered if there is to little or to much play in it... To little play.... I mean really.

L14MNP
12-09-13, 10:24 AM
The way I see it, I will not cover another 100K+ miles in the car, so might as well fit another DMF.

1990GTEBOY
12-09-13, 09:35 PM
Well the mighty pug has just clocked 102k . Got it for pennies off a family member . Even with the clutch /flywheel 4 tyres and two back dampers i would still make money going on todays prices . Going to go with a dmf ... cant see peugeot fitting it in the first place if it wasnt necessary. Afterall, build price was so obviously kept to a minimum on these .lol

Nobby
12-09-13, 09:40 PM
Mine went on my Golf TDI replaced it with a SMF Valeo kit £192 sorted!

John
12-09-13, 09:40 PM
dual mass flywheels, egr systems, dpf's , like it or not, are all there for good reason. Not as some think as money making exercises by the manufacturers. Most dmf are supplied to the manufacturer by other suppliers anyway, ie sachs/luk. Just a shame some manufacturers can't get it right.

Benn, too little play in a dmf probably means it seized, and the 4 main springs aren't doing their job.

Gazza808
13-09-13, 01:36 PM
Don't see the issue with them... Mondeo's still on original clutch and dmf,
Just clocked over 192k and I tow the track car about on a trailer with it.

Benn
13-09-13, 01:58 PM
Benn, too little play in a dmf probably means it seized, and the 4 main springs aren't doing their job.

Oh i know what it means, just find it funny.