PDA

View Full Version : External Crank sensor (CP???)

Chip_RB
02-09-03, 03:07 PM
Anyone on here got an external crank sensor?
Im pretty sure i remember CP having problems with the welds on his last year at weston wheels, so if im right then he must have one!

Basically ive got WOLF EMS to fit to my car and it wont work with the vauxhall 60 teeth minus 2 standard LET crank sensor sender, so i need to either modify that one or fit an external one.
For reasons of laziness im leaning towards an external one right now as the internal one will mean a lot of hassle, there is no other reason for me to pull the engine out as everything on it is new, so it would be all just for this crank sender.

How have people got on with external ones, has anyone got one on an XE/LET in a nova for commetns in terms of how much space there is etc?

Any hints/tips appreciated.

Also suppliers for the disk, anyone know an off the shelf one or am i better getting something custom made?

Chip

CP
02-09-03, 06:17 PM
lol gave up trying to get mine to hold together - came apart a further 3 times despite some pretty serious welding ( it was an 8V alternator pulley with std vaux toothed wheel off summink else that had been machined off and welded onto the outside)
I now have a std (old type) Corsa 1.4 16v alternator pulley/crank sensing wheel complete. I had to fit the std Vaux crank sensor holder which screws onto the sump and oil pump housing as well as move the alternator over. I found 1 fitted to an N reg 1.4 16v Corsa in a scrappy if its of any help

I wouldn't advise welding anything to an alternator pulley cos it will prolly just keep breaking with metal fatigue.

Chip_RB
02-09-03, 06:55 PM
Hmm, sounds interesting.
No doubt the combined sensor/pulley wont fit on my LET, so ill look at either pulling the engine out to fit a new ring in place of the existing sender or ill just get a completely custom pulley turned up with a sensor built into it.

Chip

NovaNeil
02-09-03, 07:17 PM
I've got an External one on my E16SE Engine, Its a DTA crank Disc with a Ford Crank sensor. I had a local engineering company custom machine the Disc onto the Alternator pulley wheel, then make me a holder for the sensor which bolts onto a couple of the sump bolts.
May not be the simplist option for you. But I thought i'd mention it just in case. :?
Let me know if you want more info

Ben (lurk75)
02-09-03, 07:20 PM
May not be the simplist option for you. But I thought i'd mention it just in case. :?

i dont think any of the methods are simple thats why its such a struggle. your way seems to be the most logical i have heard.

Stuart
02-09-03, 07:32 PM
at uni we used to get discs machined up and then fitted them to the crank alternator pulley. then had a bracket made to take a ford sensor.

have to say, rover had the better idea of putting the teeth in the flywheel and a sensor that was picking up off that.

Chip_RB
03-09-03, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the advice lads.
I think ill have a go doing it with an external sensor first, if i cant get it to work ill just have to pull the engine out and fit a custom made internal sensor.

Chip