PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bolts

steveo135
30-08-13, 03:37 PM
Hi guys,

Possibly a stupid question, wheel nuts from alloys to steel rims are they different??? Only reason I ask is on my alloys i tighten the wheels drive down the road and they are loose again????

Thanks Steve

jimbob-mcgrew
30-08-13, 03:45 PM
that's odd. are you running Vauxhall steels with Vauxhall bolts ? ... the only thing I can think of is 1 of the 2 are different, and the angles against the mating surfaces might be out ?

I have come across various different types of bolt, some 17mm, some 19mm, some long, some short. but they all shared the same angle, so were interchangeable alright.

were the old alloys you removed non-Vaux ?

jimbob-mcgrew
30-08-13, 03:46 PM
one other thing I can think of is there caked in copper grease or something, causing them to not grip down tight enough when set at the 'book' torque

8valve-craig
30-08-13, 04:22 PM
Are you getting at least 7-8 turns before they bite?

Generally alloy wheel bolts will be longer than steel wheel bolts.

mowgli
31-08-13, 12:33 AM
one other thing I can think of is there caked in copper grease or something, causing them to not grip down tight enough when set at the 'book' torque

copper slip on the threads allows better bolt torque.... we tighten lorry wheels on bolts with copper slip on them. they grip way better than dry bolts.

alloy studs are longer & depending on the rims, the cone angle might be different

jimbob-mcgrew
31-08-13, 12:49 AM
copper slip on the threads allows better bolt torque.... we tighten lorry wheels on bolts with copper slip on them. they grip way better than dry bolts

oh really ? ... my bad in that case. someone told me the opposite. obviously bad info :thumb:

steveo135
31-08-13, 09:54 AM
i might have the wrong bolts on the car. does anyone have a pic alloy bolts and steel wheel bolts so i can check out the difference.

thanks