PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet catch help!

samb12
29-08-13, 08:39 PM
Hi all, ive just brought a Nova Saloon and my bonnet catch doesnt release! If i pull the cable nothing happens. If i look at the front between the snowplugh and bonnet i can see the spring catch that holds it closed and the wind catch, theres also a spring that doesnt look connected to much . Is there any way i can open it? Any help woild be appreciated. Thanks Sam

Southie
29-08-13, 09:05 PM
Some old helpful tips here:
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?65722-Bonnet-release&

brainsnova
29-08-13, 09:07 PM
Try pushing down and up on the bonnet as someone else pulls the handle

craig green
29-08-13, 09:27 PM
Try pushing down and up on the bonnet as someone else pulls the handle

Great way to dent your bonnet skin.

If you can see the release spring, give it a nudge with a long flat screwdriver. It is quite likely that the cable has stretched or pulled through its anchor (little steel tab screwed to the slam panel). When you get access under the bonnet, chck the wire cable isnt slack & lubricate the inner wire.

[edit] continual heaving on the lever might pull thae handle off of the A pillar & then it is funked. ;)

L14MNP
30-08-13, 01:56 AM
Cable snapped?

samb12
30-08-13, 07:28 AM
Cable feels tight it just doesnt seem to do alot, ill have a good look tomorrow. The lever inside the car isnt fixed to anything, so i can get to the cable but uf i pull that nothing happens! So ill get a mate round tomorrow and hsve a go, thanks for the advice.

L14MNP
30-08-13, 08:53 AM
I had an Astra like that (loose lever). IIRC I ended up using mole grips on it, after the handle broke off when attempting to release the bonnet.

Replaced with a new cable and handle from Vaux for under £20.

brainsnova
30-08-13, 01:04 PM
When I said push down on the bonnet I meant normal hands not Baxter hands lol

therealnovaboy
30-08-13, 04:53 PM
just take the bumper off. four bolts on in the front wheel arches. 14mm IIRC.

you can then fiddle with the wire/ catch.

Benn
30-08-13, 05:31 PM
^ you can get your arm/hand to the catch from the under side, and can then pull the pig spring to open the bonnet. No need to remove the bumper...

samb12
30-08-13, 08:44 PM
Ill have a crack at it tomorrow thanks for all the replys, ill let you know how i get on

Pistol Pete
30-08-13, 09:37 PM
Main pin might need adjusting on the bonnet itself?

samb12
02-09-13, 08:50 PM
I have had a go but no luck so far, cable does nothing. I can see the main spring thsy holds the bonnet locked, what do i need to do to it to get it to open, pull it down, twist it? Ha im stumped. Juat want to get my bonnet open :(

Benn
02-09-13, 09:05 PM
Do you know what the colour code plate is? Next to the vin plate? As the end you need to pull in inline with them but under the slam.
Pull it towards the pass headlight.

Bonnet will open.

samb12
14-09-13, 10:20 AM
Shes open! Thanks for the advice. If anyone knows of a cable, cacth erverything required to replace it all let me know, thanks.cheers guys