PDA

View Full Version : sly cv boot change

jimbob-mcgrew
23-08-13, 10:26 AM
replacing a cv boot for part of my mot.

is it possible to release the cv joint circlip while everythings in place, and pull the outer half of the cv joint off whilst still connected to the hub all in 1 piece ?

if its possible, would save muchos hassle with the 30mm nut and gearbox oil :thumb:

Iain
23-08-13, 10:33 AM
Inner or outer CV joint, I can't tell from what you're saying?

Assuming inner..

Worth a look to see if you can see the circlip when it's up in the air but you're making it more difficult than it needs to be. If you jack the car up high on one side you'll get no/minimal gearbox fluid loss, and removing the bottom balljoint and turning the steering over gives you enough movement on the strut to pull the inner CV out without having to remove the hubnut.

Assuming outer..

No gearbox fluid loss at all, just hubnut and bottom balljoint and pull it out the knuckle and work on it in the arch.

Benn
23-08-13, 11:39 AM
I think you'll struggle to find the clip and get it apart with it all in place...

meritlover
23-08-13, 12:37 PM
yes it's possible, but probably easier to remove the hub nut and find the cir-clip when its off. you will still need to take off the lower ball joint of course.

if you jack the car right up on the side you're working on you wont loose any fluid as it runs to the far side of the 'box sump.

jimbob-mcgrew
24-08-13, 11:49 AM
ok cheers guys, I think ill pull the hub out with the shaft still attached, and work it on the outside of the car.

Ive broken 2 breaker bars undoing those 30mm nuts in the past, so trying to avoid that.

:thumb:

mowgli
24-08-13, 11:52 AM
ok cheers guys, I think ill pull the hub out with the shaft still attached, and work it on the outside of the car.

Ive broken 2 breaker bars undoing those 30mm nuts in the past, so trying to avoid that.

:thumb:

don't you just hate garages that use windy guns to tighten things up..

i'd imagine it would be possible to get the clip off in situ, but having the hub on a bench will be a lot easier

Andy
24-08-13, 12:00 PM
Or don't you just hat the garages that don't use the torque sticks.........

mowgli
24-08-13, 12:24 PM
i also hate garages that use a windy gun then try to say its the right torque by then putting a torque wrench on to 'prove' its tight enough, which i then ask them to put 10 lbs more on it & undo it...

mk1nova_rich
24-08-13, 01:23 PM
Hub nuts are only supposed to be about 20lb/ft then another 90 degrees or so

meritlover
24-08-13, 02:04 PM
i also hate garages that use a windy gun then try to say its the right torque by then putting a torque wrench on to 'prove' its tight enough, which i then ask them to put 10 lbs more on it & undo it...

that always makes me laugh.

'expert'- " BRRRRRRRRTTTTT"

me - "is that the right torque?"

'expert' lifts random torque wrench and proceeds to run round each nut without it even moving- "click, click, click, click...yup"

me - "sigh"

mowgli
24-08-13, 02:11 PM
/\ we snapped all of our 17mm sockets once trying to get a wheel off an astra van, including an impact one.. but i think the quality of them is variable, as some simply seem to have black paint on them.lol but the 2' snap-on breaker bar with 8' of scaffold on it was fine.

Andy
24-08-13, 03:50 PM
the torque sticks are limited to specification,very good for wheel nuts

meritlover
24-08-13, 05:12 PM
the torque sticks are limited to specification,very good for wheel nuts

i dont understand

Andy
24-08-13, 05:42 PM
available in specific figures ie 90nm for wheel nuts etc

meritlover
24-08-13, 05:48 PM
...if only they used them!

Andy
24-08-13, 05:49 PM
...if only they used them!
quite!
Iv seen them gun and THEN fukkin strong arm lever them tight!

Andy
24-08-13, 05:49 PM
http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/wtk1510wr.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=JZZuxC7fO9xfUM&tbnid=07YUZHL28TRFEM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.matcotools.com%2Fcatalog%2Fpr oduct%2FWTK1510WR%2F&ei=KuQYUtW7HqTW0QWXsoGQAg&bvm=bv.51156542,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNGbxnTYw2d0cEpIVS0tlmkHX44bNg&ust=1377449380898989)

mowgli
24-08-13, 05:57 PM
quite!
Iv seen them gun and THEN fukkin strong arm lever them tight!

when we were running the wagons, one of our drivers always reckoned we never tightened the wheel nuts up enough... so i explained about the very large torque wrench we had & used, then one day i put 2 wheels back on, torqued them, took it for a road test, brought it back in & re checked them, with him watching.. he then got out his shonky old wheel brace & a length of scaffold & started jumping up & down on it like a baboon, 'just to be sure' apparently..

i'm glad we sold the wagons

Andy
24-08-13, 06:01 PM
retards tighten to ft
Wheel nuts is a pathetic example.
"zomfg weel failyer"
yet they ignore other safety critical points such as ball joints.etc.
No need to over tighten stuff,and on heavy stuff the markers are simple

jimbob-mcgrew
27-08-13, 09:19 AM
bloody hell, that was a pain in the ass job !
the next car I have with a split c.v is getting driven off the side of a bridge lol

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ollikainen/ollikainen0808/ollikainen080800100/3474184-car-in-the-river-upsidedown-head-over-heels.jpg

jimbob-mcgrew
27-08-13, 09:24 AM
i did however figure out a good way of bolting an adjustable spanner to the hub, and rest it on a stack of bricks to undo and tighten the hub nut.

and used a g-clamp round the handles of a pair of big grips for ultra leverage on the steering rod

Benn
27-08-13, 05:30 PM
Think screw driver in the disc venting thru the caliper is a simple way too...

meritlover
27-08-13, 09:34 PM
so is bolting a tie-bar to the hub with a wheel nut and resting it on the ground.

you got it done though. Good work.

jimbob-mcgrew
28-08-13, 12:15 AM
I got there in the end yeah. the drive shaft wouldn't come out the bloody box tho, for some reason ??? (first one I haven't been able to get out...)
so I had to take everything off around it, and work with the shaft in situe.

I sellotaped a torch to the dangling brake line above it, to shed some light on the dirty circlip. I repeatedly twa.tted the cv joint with an over-hard hammer, and eventually it gave in and bit by bit, came off.
the whole ordeal was too great for my sleep deprived mind... I nearly stopped what I was doing to put my fist thru the fence when things got almost emotional, but managed to control the evil within me, and I let the car continue to poo on me for a little longer.

it took me about 3 hours to pull it all apart and change the boot, and then only another 20 mins to put it all back together and pack my tools away... the insanity of the corrupt vintage Vauxhall

bodged some body repairs today too, didn't even have the right colour paint !! what a cowboy.
and shon my headlights on a Kawasaki building in the dark to setup the alignment.
just got emissions to sort out and the old girl might blag another years MOT if im lucky.