PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass wings

bakerboy83
22-08-13, 01:38 PM
Has anyone used or got fibreglass wings on there nova what your thoughts on them
Strong?
Fit?
Cheers

GDN16v
22-08-13, 01:49 PM
Quite strong, and quite stiff.

Some fit good some fit bad, depends where you get them from.

Not much lighter than steel wings unless you for super trimmed down ones!

dgbnova#1
22-08-13, 02:15 PM
Chris does them from here look at the traders forum and look at project carbon to see his work

brainsnova
22-08-13, 02:18 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?149213-cmcomposites-fiberglass-and-carbon-nova-parts

paul james
22-08-13, 05:23 PM
I have the cmccomposites ones on my Nova, they aren't 100% exactly the same as the original steel ones, but they fit well and are strong enough. Theres a decent weight saving to be had, I weighed mine and they are less than half the weight:

MK1 steel wing – 3.3 Kg
MK1 Fibreglass wing – 1.49 Kg

If its a show car you're making then steel ones would be better really, but otherwise they are a good enough match, plus they will never ever rust so you don't have to worry about that.

bakerboy83
22-08-13, 09:57 PM
I have the cmccomposites ones on my Nova, they aren't 100% exactly the same as the original steel ones, but they fit well and are strong enough. Theres a decent weight saving to be had, I weighed mine and they are less than half the weight:

MK1 steel wing – 3.3 Kg

If its a show car you're making then steel ones would be better really, but otherwise they are a good enough match, plus they will never ever rust so you don't have to worry about that.

Cheers they are the ones I was looking at have you any pics of how they don't fit 100% sorry to be a pain but I do like the idea of fibreglass wings I'm hopefully having the hole car sprayed and don't want to spend out if its not going to look right it's not really going to be a show car but do want it to look right
Cheers

Southie
22-08-13, 10:03 PM
Chris's CMcomposites wings are of a cracking quality as mentioned, he made composites from original GM wings so they're as close to a original copy you can get.

dgbnova#1
22-08-13, 10:04 PM

MK1 steel wing – 3.3 Kg

Did you speak to Chris re the fit of them? And how old are they as may be an different mold?

paul james
22-08-13, 10:23 PM
I bought mine ages ago, when Chris had just started out. The wings I have are a single piece, so don't have the inner moulded section where the wing meets the door that the originals have. So theres a difference in shape at that point. The finish wasn't as smooth as a metal wing would be either, although thats not obvious until closer inspection.

bakerboy83
22-08-13, 10:42 PM
Humm am even more unsure on these now would buy metal wings but as I understand they are not readily available did read on here someone bringing a load of gm ones over but missed out on getting some anyone know of this and if it will happen again?

Nobby
24-08-13, 10:30 AM
I have got cmc wings on mine they fit good but if your going for a show look don't bother as any fibreglass panels would need tweeking to fit well and they will need a decent amount of prep work here and there as mine had imperfections in the mould but didn't bother me as mines only batter lol

turbojolt
25-08-13, 11:45 AM
I have a set of them at a guess I would say they are easily half the weight of steel wings

I bought mind 2nd hand so don't know who made them but where the meet up with the front lower lip the wings sit 20+mm higher, not a issue he you have a big front bumper or the original lower lip plastic trim (all of which I don't have :roll:)

mowgli
25-08-13, 04:04 PM
Humm am even more unsure on these now would buy metal wings but as I understand they are not readily available did read on here someone bringing a load of gm ones over but missed out on getting some anyone know of this and if it will happen again?

that would be jeffrey from holland he is on here as Vlietje pm him, or look in the parts for sale threads.

dgbnova#1
27-08-13, 03:01 PM
I brought a load of wings over I have new mk1 gm ones available if that's what ure after