PDA

View Full Version : Sump gasket red top engine

steveo135
20-08-13, 09:28 PM
Hi guys

This may sound a silly question, just discovered my engine is leaking oil. On inspection I have found its coming from the sump. The sump currently has from what it looks like 2 cork gaskets???? Is this correct surely the oil will leak through them both. Plus all the sump bolts were loose???

Any help would be great.

Steve

Pistol Pete
20-08-13, 09:32 PM
Strip it down, clean it all up and replace with the gasket/baffle plate from the 8v. Best thing i ever did for my XE. Hasn't leaked since.

Also, loose bolts will not help lol

steveo135
20-08-13, 09:37 PM
Should it have 2 cork gaskets though?????

Pistol Pete
20-08-13, 09:38 PM
Yes. One on top of the baffle plate and one below. Block/gasket/baffle plate/gasket/sump pan.

chrisd1986
20-08-13, 09:40 PM
Errrrrrr i highly doubt it just do what pete said but order the 2.0 8v baffle plate with gasket from autovaux as genuine parts are better than copyed ones epeccially when it comes to oil seals

steveo135
20-08-13, 09:43 PM
Cheers for that ill ring tomorrow. Nothing worst than the smell of burning oil.

mowgli
20-08-13, 09:48 PM
Cheers for that ill ring tomorrow. Nothing worst than the smell of burning oil.

i beg to differ... my dog managed to get in my old nova with 1/2 of a dead hedgehog... lol lol

make sure you clean all the oil off everything, especially inside the block before you put the new gasket/baffle assy on, cos any oil left in will ruin the seal & use a good quality sealant too.

chrisd1986
20-08-13, 10:04 PM
i beg to differ... my dog managed to get in my old nova with 1/2 of a dead hedgehog... lol lol

make sure you clean all the oil off everything, especially inside the block before you put the new gasket/baffle assy on, cos any oil left in will ruin the seal & use a good quality sealant too.

Sticker flex then lol 8 know merris will agree as thats whats holding his together lol

Martin.p
21-08-13, 08:36 AM
I've read it's recommend to use shorter bolts when changing to the 8v gasket due to it being thinner than the 2 cork ones.

Iain
21-08-13, 08:38 AM
Definitely worth checking if they'll bottom out yeah. Autovaux generally have a good price on the 8v baffles and can supply bolts too.

I use Loctite sealant on mine and recommend it, Sikaflex you'll never get it off lol

Adam
21-08-13, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't be putting any sealent on tbh. Because it will find its way into your oil pickup pipe. Clean, straight surfaces, 8v gasket, shorter bolts. Locktite the bolts. Done

Pistol Pete
21-08-13, 06:21 PM
As Adam said. I just cleaned all surfaces, ran a tap down all holes, fitted parts and used threadlock.