PDA

View Full Version : Uprated brake hoses is it worth it

gte-87
17-08-13, 12:52 PM
Hi I am thinking about putting stainless brake hoses on nova and wondering is it worth doing? Thanks dan

chrisd1986
17-08-13, 12:53 PM
Ive heard it is but im still waiting on a decent day to fit them

Pistol Pete
17-08-13, 12:54 PM
I bought mine as they were cheap. Also my original ones had perished...so guess there's your answer lol

gte-87
17-08-13, 01:17 PM
Are the corsa ones the same

chrisd1986
17-08-13, 02:59 PM
I bought mine as they were cheap. Also my original ones had perished...so guess there's your answer lol

Mine were free but are 2nd hand

mowgli
17-08-13, 06:42 PM
Hi I am thinking about putting stainless brake hoses on nova and wondering is it worth doing? Thanks dan

they aren't made any stronger than new std ones tbh.. ok, stainless braided looks sexy, but salt still attacks it.

look at it this way... 25 year old hydraulic hoses(which is what they are) are an accident waiting to happen.

its your choice over std or braided, check the prices 1st..

re the corsa ones, i'd guess they fit about the same, but just get nova ones.

re 2nd hand ones....... its your shout.. personally, i wouldn't fit 2nd hand ones

gte-87
17-08-13, 07:06 PM
Ok thanks it just as seen some brand new corsa ones on bay that all thanks dan

Andy
17-08-13, 07:43 PM
would you fit a second hand rubber hose?
l0l

craig green
19-08-13, 06:22 PM
As said above, it's worth it just to replace the ageing std ones.
There is a knack to installing them so they arent kinked however.

Rage
19-08-13, 06:29 PM
if they are kinked or twisted its also an mot fail

craig green
19-08-13, 06:32 PM
Absolutely, but where people fail in fitting them is by bolting up the banjo union to the caliper & then tightening the hose to the solid pipe which then twists the hose which is held at the caliper end, kinking results.

BRoadGhost
19-08-13, 08:26 PM
Depends how far you wanna go with it; you could ditch every standard brake line / component & never look back.

Main advantage of making your own is you can run them inside the car.

nova.mike
19-08-13, 08:41 PM
Braided is definitely the way to go if your thinking about tracking it, rubber hoses can burst under extreme heat :)

mowgli
19-08-13, 10:23 PM
Depends how far you wanna go with it; you could ditch every standard brake line / component & never look back.

Main advantage of making your own is you can run them inside the car.

you can run kunifer ones inside the car very well too.

Braided is definitely the way to go if your thinking about tracking it, rubber hoses can burst under extreme heat :)
old hoses or damaged hoses can burst.. new rubber ones won't just burst..

Stuart
19-08-13, 10:28 PM

lol

as Mowgli said, old rubber hoses are poo. New rubber or new braided will have sod all difference in performance. Afterall if braided hoses did anything great then oem's would be using them lol

Lewis.
20-08-13, 08:10 AM
I fitted braided on mine as they were cheap, and look pretty lol

However, I don't imagine for a second that they are any better than new rubber hoses. But they are a lot better than the bulging/cracked rubber that had been on since it's birth lol

BRoadGhost
20-08-13, 10:36 AM
Well you say that Stuart but they wouldn't since the materials are more expensive and labor intensive to put together. Who runs solid lines inside the car?

Benn
20-08-13, 02:13 PM
I do^

Rubber ones are easier if you even have to undo them, as you can clamp theem off. So fluid wont leak out.

Proper stainless ones wont rot.

Hobbit
20-08-13, 02:50 PM
I also run solid lines internally.

Stuart
20-08-13, 06:08 PM
Well you say that Stuart but they wouldn't since the materials are more expensive and labor intensive to put together. Who runs solid lines inside the car?

Purchased in bulk and processed accordingly would see sod all price difference in reality.

BRoadGhost
20-08-13, 06:45 PM
With the unions as well, I'm not convinced.

Why go to the trouble of bending up pipe, trying to make it look ok when you don't need to worry with braided?

mowgli
20-08-13, 06:56 PM
running solid metal for all the rigid sections & decent new hoses for the moving parts is by far the best solution. long braided hoses will expand more.

novalew
20-08-13, 06:58 PM
manufacters dont want their cars to last forever. people wouldnt upgrade then.

mowgli
20-08-13, 07:03 PM
manufacters dont want their cars to last forever. people wouldnt upgrade then.

to a certain degree, i'd go with your statement, but manufacturers don't like tabloid headlines about cars suddenly crashing because of brake failure.

as i've already posted, stainless braided hoses are made to the same spec as the oe style rubber ones... they look good, but are not necessarily any better..

Hobbit
20-08-13, 07:08 PM
With the unions as well, I'm not convinced.

Why go to the trouble of bending up pipe, trying to make it look ok when you don't need to worry with braided?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/Track%20nova%20build/006-3.jpg

meritlover
20-08-13, 07:10 PM
anyone who drives a motorcycle with uprated hoses will tell you braided hoses are better than OE rubber. its a simple fact that rubber hose swells more than stainless braid. on a bike this is exaggerated as the hoses are longer than a car, but the fact remains. there is nothing wrong with rubber hoses providing they are in good condition.

uprated hoses will improve 'feel' and give a sharper pedal, but in no way will they make up for aged calipers, rotten discs, cheap pads, old fluid or badly adjusted rear handbrake.

fairly pointless on a car and cheap braided hoses can be worse than good rubber hoses so beware.