PDA

View Full Version : c20xe not running right

lee 16v
16-08-13, 09:46 PM
I have a nova GTE with a c20xe fitted

The engine was fitted when I got it, and has never run right, I didn't test drive it properly because it have not tax or MOT and the fuel light was on.

Not the problem is, when you 1st pull away it runs fine, then you slow down for some reason it pops like there is too much fuel, then when you go to pull away it splutters, until you put your foot to the floor, then smoke come out the back then it clears it starts to pull better, it don't really feel fast until it gets to about 5000 rpm, and still don't feel that fast. (not like I remember my old 16v nova or my mates corsa 16v) I did notice some smoke come out the back, but as it was dark I don't know what colour it was and I could smell fuel when I was driving it, but the fuel smell could be a leak and nothing to do with this problem.

Im guessing the things to check are
Timing
air flow meter
head gasket
injectors leaking

any advise is welcome. also if anything fits off a 2.0 8v that's worth getting, let me know as the breakers near me have one :thumb:

Andy
16-08-13, 10:05 PM
coolant temp sensor.try that

lee 16v
16-08-13, 10:06 PM
is that at the front that has a blue wire? my temp gauge don't work, I had some welding done and he broke a blue wire could do this

Adam
16-08-13, 10:08 PM
The wire that drives the gauge is a separate wire to the CTS. CTS has 2pin plug

lee 16v
16-08-13, 10:17 PM
is that near the thermostat at the front of the engine?

Martin.p
16-08-13, 10:45 PM
is that near the thermostat at the front of the engine?

Yes, CTS has a blue plug with 2 pins. And the sensor that tells your dash what the temp is, is right next to it with a single spade connector.
Both are under the hose from thermostat on front left of engine (when looking at it from front)

Martin.p
16-08-13, 11:08 PM
Lambda sensor!?

You could try flashing fault codes.

Sorry if you already know.
But you can do a thing called the paperclip test

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

Buy you need to wire up the diagnostic wire.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?199034-Fitting-a-diagnostics-plug&highlight=

If your having problems finding wire. You should find it nr the other dash signal wires (number 4 in this wiring guide)
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?198622-C20xe-help-urgent!!

Wire your looking for is brown with yellow trace (iirc)

Note: CTS dose not come up as a fault code. (I change mine annually as they are temperamental)

lee 16v
16-08-13, 11:23 PM
Mine don't have a lambda sensor. thanks for the wiring guide, I want to wire the engine fault light up and didn't know how. I will read up on the fault reading now

Martin.p
16-08-13, 11:36 PM
Mine don't have a lambda sensor.

Probably wrong,
But thought the xe had one (when it was in its origanal home/car )

So could be your problem?
If you can find the plug for it on loom (labeled in wiring diagram) maybe try adding it.
I had problems/ faults with mine and car ran like you describe.

lee 16v
16-08-13, 11:46 PM
I just went and looked for that plug, mine has a plug with 2 wires, brown/white and brown/yellow. is this the wire (brown/white) I wire to my engine fault light?
and is this the same brown/yellow to read the fault from.

mine is an early engine, I didn't think they had a lambda sensor, I will look again tomorrow

Andy
17-08-13, 10:45 AM
Not all xe's had lambda.
Astra gte's didn't.

Pistol Pete
17-08-13, 11:07 AM
Some did. IIRC early XEs didn't have them. But that said, mines an early lump and has one. And mine was from a GTE.

With regards to your running issues, check all in your list. I had a running issue. Turned out to be corroded earths on the fuel rail and chassis leg. Cleaned them up and it ran sweet. If it's been sat, how old is the fuel? Chuck some new stuff in and replace the filter?

And the wires you mention do sound like the right ones for the EM light.

deneil_gsi2000
18-08-13, 12:05 AM
Which ecu are you running ? Motronic 2.5 or 2.8, afaik the latter has lambda. Could be wrong tho im sure someone will verify.

lee 16v
21-08-13, 07:52 PM
I will look next time im out at the car, it has early xe on it in marker, so im guessing its a 2nd hand ECU

I did find this today, so I think a new gasket will help.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/lee216v/photo-80.jpg

Pistol Pete
21-08-13, 09:33 PM
Blimey....I'd get that dressed in. Could be giving you an air leak. Also, is that silicone sealant??

lee 16v
21-08-13, 09:53 PM
Yeah, im not too worried about the bent bit, i can soon tap that back in to shape, its the silicone that gets me. I just worry when I find things like this, what else has the person bodged up.

Now on the hunt for a gasket. Can anyone help?

philip
22-08-13, 06:29 AM
Vauxhall or autovaux for the gasket, autovaux probably quicker, vauxhall more than likely be a couple days to order in.

Martin.p
25-08-13, 04:14 PM
I just went and looked for that plug, mine has a plug with 2 wires, brown/white and brown/yellow. is this the wire (brown/white) I wire to my engine fault light?
and is this the same brown/yellow to read the fault from.

mine is an early engine, I didn't think they had a lambda sensor, I will look again tomorrow

Yes, wire the brown with white to the light on dash.
And the brown with yellow to bodywork/ground.(with a switch ;) )

Then at least you can see is a lambda sensor fault comes up. Or any others.
It will show 12 to indicate the start of test and 31 (crank shaft sensor) if engine is not running.
Test can be done with engine running also.