PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein front shock problem

Edd
16-08-13, 01:26 PM
I have a problem with one of my yellow Bilstein front shocks

It's been off the car for a few weeks, lying on it's side

Went to put it back on yesterday and it has leaked a very small amount of fluid

Obviously with only using them for 300miles I ain't happy

BUT I've lost all the paperwork for them when we moved house few years back, looked everywhere

I bought them through Courtenay

Keep using them? I guess once they start to leak this will just get worse?
Will they still be under warranty? Even with no paperwork?
Go through Courtenay? Or Bilstein uk? If a place exists

Anyone with any ideas/input (that's helpful resident spammers ) I would really appreciate it

Edd

SimonTW
16-08-13, 01:49 PM
Drop them an email and see if they can do anything to help. Also give Courtenay a call and see if they can provide you with a copy invoice relating to the original purchase.

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein UK
Unit T1 Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground
Bruntingthorpe
Lutterworth
LE17 5QS
England
Phone:0116 2478930

letvalva
16-08-13, 07:27 PM
Pay with card? That's proof of purchase if ya did

mowgli
16-08-13, 07:41 PM
unfortunately, any warranty is usually based on length of time owned, not miles covered. i think you'll be peeing into the wind a bit. maybe they will service/repair them as a goodwill geasture. its worth a try if you don't get any joy on the warranty front.

craig green
19-08-13, 06:24 PM
They can't be 3 years old Ted.

How much fluid loss? I'd try them on the car, it's quite likely you won't feel any difference.

I did have a thought, Grant Baker sells Bilstein stuff through his tuning business, he might attempt a warranty job if he's in a good mood. Courtenay might also, if you can get them on your side, it's usually the retailer that persuades a supplier that replacement is required. Isn't Jon Shield on here? Maybe PM & some pics will help your case.

Novasport
26-06-14, 02:45 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but...

I have just taken delivery of a brand new Bilstein B12 suspension kit and opened it up this morning.
when I got to the front shockers the pistons, seal and body above the spring cup were covered in a clear oil. Now is this just assembly oil or is there a problem? They are the yellow big piston shocks so the piston is in upside down. Is the top seal an oil seal or dust seal?

dstevenson
26-06-14, 03:49 PM
Hi,

The top seal is a dust/dirt seal to keep the crap off the lower piston/rod.

I would say it is just assembly oil or an anti-rust coating.

David

Novasport
26-06-14, 06:44 PM
I have a couple of sets of NOS Irmscher Bilstein Cup shockers in the loft, I will check them. I have wiped the pistons clean and left them on their sides overnight to see if it is coming from the seals.

Novasport
26-06-14, 07:30 PM
Just checked a set of my Irmscher ones and they have some red oil on them. Looks to be just assembly oil but I will check the others tomorrow to see.

Edd
28-06-14, 09:22 AM
Mine haven't leaked anymore fluid, had them hung upside down for a few days as well

I'll report back when I drive it again, no idea when that will be tho lol