PDA

View Full Version : oil leaks

conza123
10-08-13, 09:04 PM
well before you ask i know its a vauxhall so expect a bit of oil leaking here and there,

but i have oil nie on pouring out filler cap and the rocker cover keeps leaking,

so to the point is the little black breather box common for blocking up, is it easy to get off and clean and what do i do about the gasket, or is it something else

conza123
10-08-13, 09:05 PM
cars a 1300 sr with 13sb engine

kent14sr
10-08-13, 09:23 PM
I would check the breathers first Connor.

Clean everything out with carb cleaner.

conza123
10-08-13, 09:27 PM
I would check the breathers first Connor.

Clean everything out with carb cleaner.

its just that black box under the inlet isnt it, is it hard to remove as it looks a bit of a **** with everything on

kent14sr
10-08-13, 09:31 PM
Yes - black box that has a small hose and medium hose going to it. I guess it probably is difficult to remove with inlet manifold on. Its two bolts to remove.

You need to check its all clear though as the other option is it could be breathing past the piston rings

conza123
10-08-13, 09:33 PM
already done compresstion test and thats all good, and the oil breather looks like its never been touched, is the gasket on it normaly reusable

kent14sr
10-08-13, 09:40 PM
Never had a problem with gasket, or breather box for that matter.

Does anything come out of the larger of the two hoses that come from the breather box?

conza123
10-08-13, 09:50 PM
i only have one big pipe and i get a lot of oil fumes and tiny bit of oil in catch can

meritlover
10-08-13, 09:53 PM
Worn bores/rings.

kent14sr
10-08-13, 10:12 PM
^This

conza123
10-08-13, 10:17 PM
^This

bum, what to do then rebuild the engine or put a x16xe init as ive grow a liking to liams

mowgli
10-08-13, 11:56 PM
the breather is the most likely cuplrit.. if it was ok & the rings were gone, it would not be pissing oil out of the gaskets... its 2 bolts iirc... people never change or clean them as a rule... the last time i cleaned one out, i dunked it in petrol for a while to make sure it soaked in, then put it in a tin bucket up the garden, taped a match to a line prop, lit it & put it near the bucket, after the fire went out, i steam cleaned it & then repainted it.. it seemed to work ok after that

the rings might be worn, considering the engine is at least 25 years old.

Novasport
11-08-13, 12:00 AM
Have you checked the breather pipe is not blocked? They get gunked up with mayo from condensation. Get a rag on a welding rod and push it through.
Get some parrafin or engine degreaser in the breather tank. Refit with a new paper gasket or a good quality silicone engine sealer

conza123
11-08-13, 12:18 AM
Have you checked the breather pipe is not blocked? They get gunked up with mayo from condensation. Get a rag on a welding rod and push it through.
Get some parrafin or engine degreaser in the breather tank. Refit with a new paper gasket or a good quality silicone engine sealer

pipes a brand new and ill take the breather tank off and give it a good clean out

kent14sr
11-08-13, 08:29 AM
Cleaning and checking the breathers would certainly be the first area I would look at.

A worst, put a set of rings in it; not the end of the world. I would refresh the main bearings and shells whilst at it and it is in bits after checking the bores and crank.

If it were me I would keep it as a 1.3 - but of course its your car to do as you choose with.