PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 sr head work

Topmanbeny
07-08-13, 08:45 PM
I plan on getting a quote on some head work by my local engineers but I don't really know what to ask for other than saying can you gas flow this lol , so could you guys give me some advice for a good reliable fast road set up . For example with reliability in mind do I want it skimming if so by how many thousands of mil ? Etc any help would be great :thumb:

mowgli
07-08-13, 09:05 PM
fitting some e16se valves & seats, three angle cutting of the seats & then smoothing the ports out, especially round where the valve stems come into the port.

unless the engineers are properly set up for 'gas flowing' don't even bother asking them, as they will have you over a barrel in seconds

_Jake
07-08-13, 09:18 PM
Buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Vizards-Cylinder-Heads-Design/dp/1934709646/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375906656&sr=1-3&keywords=david+vizard and do it yourself.

Novasport
07-08-13, 09:46 PM
Send it off to somewhere like Autosprint

tom reid
07-08-13, 09:47 PM
What are you going to be using the engine for?, you need to understand this before you spec the head work.
What cam are you planning to use?, depending on this you might find you need machine work to the valve platform and top of valve guides and the underside of the valve retainers, you may not need to port the head, careful selection here could save you money.
Before anything else, satisfy yourself that the valve guides, valve stems and seats on the valve and the head are within original spec, is the bottom end up to a decent hike in compression, if not the rings / crank bearings will wear out really fast.

Topmanbeny
07-08-13, 10:11 PM
Thanks all , I'm getting an auto sprint 290 camshaft so I can ask him about fitting the 1.6 valves etc and just ask his general opinion possibly on what to do , I dunno if they're geared up for gas flowing but Ide assume so ? I don't know at what point you would start beefing the bottom end up , mine is standard but solid but I know a hike in compression is clearly going to start taking its toll at some point but don't really know where that point is ? But this is just for fast road not racing or to the point where it's a sack of **** to drive normally

tom reid
08-08-13, 05:56 PM
Autosprint do a very good job on head porting etc, a 290 cam might be a bit wild, if you're using std gearing, a 3.7/3.9 diff might be too long to use a 290 cam around town, but a 4.1 is spot on.

Topmanbeny
08-08-13, 09:35 PM
Thanks for that the guy I spoke to seems a very nice chap and from people's general vibe seems his work is good to