PDA

View Full Version : Any f1 fans ??

Marcusgeorge
05-08-13, 11:46 PM
Hi guys

I love formula one...... Up until the next season I think. Because top gear website has posted a video of how the Mercedes 1.6 turbo lump sounds http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mercedes-amg-formula-one-turbo-v6-engine-noise-2013-08-05

Frankly very disappointed :( we need the big v12's back or at least the V8 engines

mowgli
06-08-13, 06:41 AM
the small turbo lumps sounded epic back in the 80's so i think they'll be ok this time round..

rubachuk
06-08-13, 11:38 AM
I can cope with the sound. Not looking forward to another season of chocolate tyres and meaningless DRS overtakes though...

Marcusgeorge
06-08-13, 12:12 PM
Same but to be fair to perilli the fia pretty much asked them to make **** tyres because they think people are interested in the "strategy" but we arnt I am interested in kimi giving vettle the finger :p

meritlover
06-08-13, 01:20 PM
how does it "recover energy from the exhaust turbine"? technically the turbine is recovering energy from the exhaust gas, but is there another step im missing? the CHRA on the turbo looks rather large, surely there isnt an alternator unit included in there to charge a battery?

i thought they were all to be 1.6 4cyl turbos but obviously not.

is it a conventional 2-head Vee or is it shallow like the VR6? the pics dont give anything away.

short-shifting doesnt sound as good, but theyre making use of the increased torque from the turbo. i think that's an artistic impression of the sound, sounds 'too digital' to be a real car.

Keen readers of the Internet will appreciate that this marks the return of turbocharged engines in F1

ye that's me, it took a LOT of internet reading for me to finally get to the F1 section. lol

Edd
06-08-13, 01:31 PM
They were meant to be 4cyl, but Ferrari kicked up a fuss and it got changed

rubachuk
06-08-13, 02:01 PM
Same but to be fair to perilli the fia pretty much asked them to make **** tyres because they think people are interested in the "strategy" but we arnt I am interested in kimi giving vettle the finger :p
True. Whatever the reason, they frustrate me. I'd rather see refuelling back to add to the strategic element, seems a bit less contrived than the current gimmicks. Plus there's always the chance of seeing a Ferrari trundling down the pit lane with a fuel hose still attached again. Oh how I lol'd.

burgo
06-08-13, 02:15 PM
I can only imagine the turbo housing a generator is how they plan to do it merit and judging by the sound of the new energy system they need that constant supply

meritlover
06-08-13, 03:56 PM
I can only imagine the turbo housing a generator is how they plan to do it merit and judging by the sound of the new energy system they need that constant supply

interesting, also be nice to know if they can reverse drive the CHRA 'generator' and use it to anti-lag or even supercharge when the exhaust gas doesnt have enough energy to generate boost. rather than having exhaust ducts and generated downforce, id expect some retarded timing and gas-turbine effect to keep the turbo spinning as a generator for the KERS.

i didnt realise they dropped the 4cyl only rule. shame, as most of the technology would be transferable to rally/touring car and then ultimately mass-production in a (diluted fashion) Ferrari know about V12's so they probably wanted to just chop an engine in half and fit a turbo. i guess the same is still true though to some extent.

rubachuk
06-08-13, 05:02 PM
There was a talk of "compound" charging a while back as something that would be a big step for turbo power and efficiency. Maybe something to do with what you're talking about? I'm not even going to pretend I understand what that is though

meritlover
06-08-13, 05:32 PM
no, thats something different. Compound charging is when multiple compressors run in series as apposed to parallel. ie, you stage your PRs so that one 'feeds' another. makes it heavier, but more efficient. You can compound with super and/or turbo chargers.

mowgli
06-08-13, 06:28 PM
i didnt realise they dropped the 4cyl only rule. shame, as most of the technology would be transferable to rally/touring car and then ultimately mass-production in a (diluted fashion) Ferrari know about V12's so they probably wanted to just chop an engine in half and fit a turbo. i guess the same is still true though to some extent.

the idea was for all manufacturers to simply get a 1600 16v engine off the production line, and by use of various tuning methods, use it for touring cars, f3, rallying & f1... and ferrari used the 'its my bat & my ball & if i don't get what i want, i'm going home' rule that always seems to scare the fia into changing their minds.....

meritlover
06-08-13, 06:37 PM
i had that feeling. it was in the spirit of the '80s but with a little more control to make them concentrate on fuel usage which leads to better engine development, rather than just horsing fuel in to stop things melting, or welding the head to the barrel to negate head gasket failures.

ferrari ruined that then, let them have their bat and ball back and lets go racing instead.

MARTIN KELSON
06-08-13, 06:59 PM
I think there going in the wrong direction.
F1 was supposed to be about pushing the boundaries & all we hear now is, conserve fuel, save tyres! This isn't racing :(
Next year they also have I believe a 100KG fuel limit so maybe more fuel save going on.
I will watch the first few & give it the benefit of the doubt but at the moment I can see my self turning over to something more interesting like songs of praise!!

Southie
06-08-13, 07:04 PM
Give it a few more years and they'll be either turbo diesel or electric, imagine an F1 electric race though... The sound would be odd lol

Marcusgeorge
06-08-13, 07:17 PM
The sound would be **** and bernie would be getting poorer very fast hahahahha.

And I couldn't agree more with the fuel saving even NASCAR has gone bio ethanol of the Americans can do it why can't the best of the best ??

And I think they should have a choice of whatever engine they want but set a horsepower limit and kers should be an option to assist the smaller engines IMO.

bazzap8389
06-08-13, 07:37 PM
F1 was supposed to be about pushing the boundaries & all we hear now is, conserve fuel, save tyres! This isn't racing :(
Next year they also have I believe a 100KG fuel limit so maybe more fuel save going on.
I will watch the first few & give it the benefit of the doubt but at the moment I can see my self turning over to something more interesting like songs of praise!!
Pretty much my opinion on it aswell mate.

meritlover
06-08-13, 09:32 PM

i agree to some extent. but placing limits on tyres and fuel probably pushes technology development further teams will always want to win! by having unlimited tyres and fuel would send us back to the 80s think awful laggy engines, it will become too fast to race and it getting banned shortly after there need to be limits of some degree. The right kind for the right reasons and not too many.

you can't seriously think that a limit free class would be constructive?

meritlover
06-08-13, 09:33 PM
Pretty much my opinion on it aswell mate.

ah well, thats doubled the Songs of Praise audience.

mowgli
06-08-13, 09:52 PM
when you consider that the fia killed off the finest fuel formula racing the world has ever seen... group c, by introducing the 3.5litre sprint wsc championship, cos IMO it was drawing massive support... then they had a right go at rallying cos it was too popular, it makes you wonder what they were thinking of when they came up with this twaddle.... now i can really get why competitive development of small turbo engines & energy recovery systems is a good thing, but not with such crazy constraints as the f1 rules..

the powers that be seem to rely on the assumption that the vast majority of the f1 watching public couldn't care less what engine/transmission/aero thingy they are watching... i reckon the watching public do... i think they were happy with 3.5L v12 engines & 3.0L v10's but they didn't care for them relying on crazy aero packages.. they want wheel to wheel racing, with proper sliding etc, cos its fun to watch.

F1 should be the fastest form of motorsport, & engineers should be allowed to push the boundaries of what is possible, i think the rules should be limited to 2 sides of A4 tops..

Edd
06-08-13, 10:31 PM
Think the FIA might of ****ed up tho

They wanted to reduce the power with these new engines, but Merc and Renault both reckon their new lumps will be 850bhp

meritlover
06-08-13, 10:44 PM
if they wanted to reduce power, the rule would be "maximum 450hp" for example. But they didnt so that leaves engine development wide open to some extent.

i think everyone is right here. But its difficult find a system that keeps it safe,exciting,fast,noisy,technologically advanced,economical,cheap enough to attract more than just the majors.

Stuart
06-08-13, 10:50 PM
Fuel limit or even better a fuel rate limit and then you do what you can to be the first over the line.

Adding turbos back onto f1 cars is good as it will further the lower level thoughts and controls for them and with more and more small forced induction engines are coming this is ideal.
F1 wouldn't be remotely cool if it had the same engine as found in a btcc car would it!

meritlover
06-08-13, 10:56 PM
this was the point i tried to make earlier, the technology is more transferable.

i thought fuel rate was a rule next year? like i say, it stops them producing instantaneous 1000hp bursts, or throwing fuel down in gallons to stop it melting.

mowgli
07-08-13, 10:12 AM
i think you are right about the fuel flow, but someone will ride a coach & horses thru that in no time.. they will put the flow restrictor near the tank & have a secondary swirl pot somewhere else......

max mosley really had it in for a lot of people in F1, ie Ron Dennis got it big time after the spanking scandal....he pushed the engine rule thru..

but f1 always goes in cycles... in the 70's, all f1 cars had a standard 3.0 v8 (usually a cosworth), a std gearbox(hewland), no in race refueling...then along came the turbo era, which renault started (it wasn't a rule change at all, it was the old rule about 1.5 supercharged engines, left in when they switched to the 3 litre class in the 60's to allow the 1.5L runners a chance) then refuelling, then crazy electronic advances.. then f1 said enough & they all went low tech(lol) & N/A, then std engines, then long life gearboxes, then no refueling.....

the one rule i hope has been thrown out is the no engine running in the pits one.... max mosley apparently hates the loud noise of an f1 engine & reckons it gets in the way of peoples enjoyment of it!!!!!!

meritlover
07-08-13, 12:38 PM
the one rule i hope has been thrown out is the no engine running in the pits one.... max mosley apparently hates the loud noise of an f1 engine & reckons it gets in the way of peoples enjoyment of it!!!!!!

Dear Mr Mosley,

please find included:

http://www.aonesafetyequipment.com/pic/digi/31030_sml1.gif