PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear tonight.

Hobbit
04-08-13, 10:08 PM
Made me very proud to be British. So who on here have had a hand in some the vehicle's shown?

I know Mike has done some carbon bits in few, Stuart has fiddled with some, and I recall we have a member that designs/tests the big Cat dumpers?

Asa-James
04-08-13, 10:11 PM
was a pretty good end to the show. bit of a downer with the following program tho

Martin.p
04-08-13, 10:17 PM
Bugger, I missed it tonight :(
To busy with first time start on my let nova

Novasport
04-08-13, 10:19 PM
I have to deal with the disgruntled British public when their French pile of crap breaks lol and try and get them fixed again

Benn
04-08-13, 10:21 PM
I loved that, all the cars meeting up. Loved the F1 cars driving about in MK.
Didn't know so many F1 teams where based here either, or that so many parts where made here... Never knew that the gear box people where here.

burgo
04-08-13, 10:21 PM
I used to referb jlr's. Do vaux now :(

Novasport
04-08-13, 10:29 PM
My dad is doing inspection for aero parts at a company that makes the caliper bodies for F1 cars. Aparrently the machined alloy bodies are sold for £10k each and the complete caliper for £30k each!

L14MNP
04-08-13, 10:46 PM
Everyone has a right to be proud. Shame the programme that followed, seriously undermined the Top Gear message.

Caterpillar articulated dump trucks for me. The ones right at the back. They are only made in County Durham. The Peterlee plant is a success story in itself.
Originally started by one man (David John Brown), the DJB plant, later re-named Artix used machines of his own design, and Caterpillar engines.

American owned Cat were so impressed, that they bought the plant and extended it etc. Like Nissan up the road, noone does it like the Brits!

When I saw JCB were present, I was disappointed at first, as it looked like Cat were not going to feature.

Never saw any Nissan cars though?

Stuart
04-08-13, 11:04 PM
I loved that, all the cars meeting up. Loved the F1 cars driving about in MK.
Didn't know so many F1 teams where based here either, or that so many parts where made here... Never knew that the gear box people where here.

Xtrac have been around for years. Mostly Motorsport stuff but slowly moving to mainstream.

Very proud of that, I'm always proud of what we as a nation do and even more proud of stuff I have directly arsed about with and got paid for the privellage.

burgo
04-08-13, 11:05 PM
Pretty sure I saw a gtr

L14MNP
04-08-13, 11:07 PM
Pretty sure I saw a gtr

They're built in Japan.

The only ones we build in Sunderland now are the Juke and Quashqai.
Supposedly they are getting the new Pulsar GTi-R 4x4 thing too.

Stuart
04-08-13, 11:12 PM
There is a juke and cashcow in the lineup, just it was a long ole line lol

L14MNP
04-08-13, 11:14 PM
Well spotted. Shame they never dedicated a little more time to the vehicles that were there.

I would have rather had another five minutes of that, than an advert for London transport. lol

Stuart
04-08-13, 11:17 PM
The bus is made in the uk, with a made in the uk engine and engineered in the uk by my fair hands engine ecu lol although they may have changed that bit for the newer bus. The video that schmoooooo did of the lineup isn't complete but its sodding tedious to watch so tg doing it would have been as bad I'm afraid :(

bazil
04-08-13, 11:32 PM
Royston is your CAT man,

Missing was

Quaife
M-Sport
Terex
Sadly rallyart are no more but helped in 4 straight WRC titles

MiniManDan118
04-08-13, 11:52 PM
When people ask me why I am bothering to study an Automotive & Motorsport Engineering Degree at the moment I will just show them the last 10 minutes of Top Gear. Finally a sensible and meaningful part of the show that I really enjoyed. And also made me confident I'm heading in the right direction.

burgo
05-08-13, 09:17 AM
No mention of cosworth, Caterham and all the other kit car manufacturers.

kent14sr
05-08-13, 11:39 AM
On a different direction; I figured it was the last in the series as I visited Beaulieu Motor Museum on Saturday and the Hovervan, Jag convertible and buggy were abandoned out at the rear along with several other old projects - the Hovervan is taxed till end of September! They must have cleared out the studio at the end of filming!

Stuart
05-08-13, 01:32 PM
It was more of a highlights and diversity of British automotive engineering. E.g. xtrac only got a mention because their gearbox is in paganis etc if allll the oems, tier 1,2,3,5 manufacturers were mentioned it would have been a loong and boring feature lol

meritlover
05-08-13, 09:33 PM
i have just watched this. i wish i was British :(

when did they film the collection on the 'Mall?

Benn
05-08-13, 09:36 PM
I walked down that (longer than it looks) 2weeks ago, and it was all kitted out as it was there, all the flags and barricades so it was with in 2/3 weeks.

Mike
05-08-13, 09:41 PM
I'm always proud of what we as a nation do and even more proud of stuff I have directly arsed about with and got paid for the privellage.

This^

Im in on the M600, the Mono (who my friend Niell is actually driving in the moveing shot of it) also in on the F Type carbon interiors, all the range rovers were prototyped where I work, the McLaren P1 & 12C done bits for, couple of the F1 cars had parts done by us also (seats, intakes, rear wings etc). Couldn't really see all of what was there but they'll defo be more Id have thought.

EDIT: All the Bentley continentals/flying spur aswell inc there new race car which Ive known about since this time last year lol

Things like this is the reason why I don't bother making lots & lots of carbon goodies from home. Bonnets & boots soon get old hat after you've dicked about with things like this...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/work2_zps509c5211.png (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/mikenova/media/work2_zps509c5211.png.html)

Mike
05-08-13, 09:45 PM
When people ask me why I am bothering to study an Automotive & Motorsport Engineering Degree at the moment I will just show them the last 10 minutes of Top Gear. Finally a sensible and meaningful part of the show that I really enjoyed. And also made me confident I'm heading in the right direction.

PNGs very own Mark (MK999) has landed a rather cushty job at the Jag that I helped him get, he done some motorsport thing at Uni & is now royally benifitting the financial rewards :thumb:

meritlover
05-08-13, 09:51 PM
I walked down that (longer than it looks) 2weeks ago, and it was all kitted out as it was there, all the flags and barricades so it was with in 2/3 weeks.

Thank you, i nearly cried when i found out that you had walked down that historic road where those Mountfield grass mowers drove down.

mowgli
05-08-13, 09:52 PM
PNGs very own Mark (MK999) has landed a rather cushty job at the Jag that I helped him get, he done some motorsport thing at Uni & is now royally benifitting the financial rewards :thumb:

what did you do?? translate for him? lol

Mike
05-08-13, 09:56 PM
what did you do?? translate for him? lol

Helped him :thumb: not taking anything away from him at all, obviously he done the interview etc, but I knew where & who & when to contact etc for some VERY good vacancies.

Stuart
05-08-13, 10:06 PM
And funnily enough the money is not in Motorsport lol

Mike
05-08-13, 10:19 PM
And funnily enough the money is not in Motorsport lol

This^ 110%

As said in another thread Re: F1 job. Dog shÃ*t pay for working away from home for 6 months.

Benn
05-08-13, 10:19 PM
This^

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/work2_zps509c5211.png (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/mikenova/media/work2_zps509c5211.png.html)

Wow love that!

Thank you, i nearly cried when i found out that you had walked down that historic road where those Mountfield grass mowers drove down.

I didn't realize how long that road is... More so when it's 30c and theres no wind....

paddy138
05-08-13, 10:24 PM
Noticed they never mentioned m-sport who build the fiesta wrc cars, tought as they had all the f1 cars there they would of showed the wrc cars, was a good show tough

Mike
05-08-13, 10:24 PM
Wow love that!

Six to eight weeks later they look like this...

http://images.plus613.net/images/c/4/c/9/www_plus613_net_2013NobleM600CarbonSport.jpg

I get to spend a lot of time on this project.

Benn
05-08-13, 10:25 PM
*grabs nuts as he finishes* Christ that is fantastic. But...... *in cat from RD voice*"What is it?"

Mike
05-08-13, 10:27 PM
Noticed they never mentioned m-sport who build the fiesta wrc cars, tought as they had all the f1 cars there they would of showed the wrc cars, was a good show tough

I bet you didn't know the tail light inners on those fiesta's are not made from plastic, but black fibreglass (used to be carbon) :)

Mike
05-08-13, 10:28 PM
*grabs nuts as he finishes* Christ that is fantastic. But...... *in cat from RD voice*"What is it?"

Noble M600 Carbonsport.

Pant shÃ*ttingly fast. I didn't even have to go to uni to play race cars either lol

meritlover
05-08-13, 10:33 PM
I didn't realize how long that road is... More so when it's 30c and theres no wind....

wow! is this due to thermal expansion do you think? perhaps road surfaces in UK are not designed for such extremes in temperature?

London is such a wonderful place to see things.

paddy138
05-08-13, 10:40 PM
I bet you didn't know the tail light inners on those fiesta's are not made from plastic, but black fibreglass (used to be carbon) :)

i did,

mowgli
06-08-13, 06:36 AM

the fiesta wrc is still a car made from ford parts, to fords design that are made in another country... officially, they are modified road cars, even though msport put them together, and thus legally, they aren't made by them

paddy138
06-08-13, 09:51 AM
the fiesta wrc is still a car made from ford parts, to fords design that are made in another country... officially, they are modified road cars, even though msport put them together, and thus legally, they aren't made by them

true but i would say one of the only things ford has any say in now is the vin plates, thats cut out of the original cars and welded into the rally cars, everything else is very different, the shells are even welded together in m-sport, not trying to argue with anyone, i just think its as big company that has done a lot for uk motorsport and they didnt get recognized for it in the programme

Stuart
06-08-13, 10:03 AM
true but i would say one of the only things ford has any say in now is the vin plates, thats cut out of the original cars and welded into the rally cars, everything else is very different, the shells are even welded together in m-sport, not trying to argue with anyone, i just think its as big company that has done a lot for uk motorsport and they didnt get recognized for it in the programme

There was a lot missed, but if it covered every single company that dis something for some motorsport then it would have been dull as funk. Pick the highlights and spark interest in the industry.... It's mission accomplished from what I can see.

Jack
06-08-13, 12:27 PM
My dad spent most of his life making air con and hydraulic parts at NGL, does that count? lol

Benn
06-08-13, 05:31 PM
wow! is this due to thermal expansion do you think? perhaps road surfaces in UK are not designed for such extremes in temperature?

London is such a wonderful place to see things.

lol no it's just a long road. And is it?

meritlover
06-08-13, 06:31 PM
lol no it's just a long road. And is it?

yes it appears long.

mowgli
06-08-13, 09:54 PM
on a cold day, it would appear to be shorter.....lol

meritlover
06-08-13, 10:46 PM
you're learning! :)

Pistol Pete
07-08-13, 04:05 PM
Sat and watched this on iPlayer last nite. I work at the Honda factory. My previous role was on the new model team and I worked on the new CRV introduction. Also had a hand in the mass pro launch of the new Civic. Even though I may be towards the lower end of the automotive food chain, it made me quite proud to be in the food chain!