paddy235
03-08-13, 03:08 PM
fair play you must have a good engine there well done

jonnyd61
03-08-13, 03:35 PM
thts good bhp for the small engine mods mate nice one

bazzap8389
03-08-13, 04:06 PM
Great power with the mods that are done :)

Nick J
03-08-13, 04:32 PM
Very good figures fella..... I see a tin of worms about to open though lol

Nick.

Mieran
03-08-13, 04:36 PM
Yeah I'm expecting that.

But, my pals XE ran there and made 148 and another XE on carbs made 178.

It does feel very quick for an XE though, on par with a lot faster cars.

BRoadGhost
03-08-13, 07:39 PM
They do respond well to a proper full exhaust; in the past mine's made notably more power than almost identical speced XE's bar the exhaust system.

BRoadGhost
03-08-13, 07:41 PM
Talking of good numbers; I see the UPG Nova's just made almost 330BHP.

IMO it's just a matter of time before we see another 35+BHP on top of that with a proper block.

Mieran
03-08-13, 07:42 PM
What do you class as a proper block?

Alex J
03-08-13, 07:42 PM
thats just 5bhp off my old track nova on mbe , jenveys, etc etc lol

BRoadGhost
03-08-13, 07:49 PM
A "proper block" in my book is one where the main caps are an integral part of the bottom girdle; i.e. nothing like the design (or material, preferably for that matter) of the original vauxhall block.

You're always chasing revs N/a and the only thing that's going to reliably facilitate this is a block that can coupe with the vibration.

Alex J
03-08-13, 08:07 PM
A "proper block" in my book is one where the main caps are an integral part of the bottom girdle; i.e. nothing like the design (or material, preferably for that matter) of the original vauxhall block.

You're always chasing revs N/a and the only thing that's going to reliably facilitate this is a block that can coupe with the vibration.https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLqvESYnJmUtZBLWlHZmpU9SHtoWrAX auZh4-zU5B-pTIlIi8UGQ

Will F
03-08-13, 09:55 PM
So a carbd xe made 3 more than you on the same rollers? I bet he wouldn't be happy in the knowledge that he only needed a few bolt ons lol

Will F
03-08-13, 09:56 PM
Actually, scrub that. On. 2" exhaust and standard cams 175 is impossible.

There I said it! Lol

Stuart
03-08-13, 09:58 PM
That's a nice fairy tale graph....

meritlover
03-08-13, 10:07 PM
i have seen these pictures before.... Sometimes the lines are higher.... sometimes they are lower.

Southie
03-08-13, 10:31 PM
I'd love to know where there is an actual correct rolling road, I'm sick of people saying that people's readings are inaccurate tbh.

BRoadGhost
03-08-13, 10:51 PM
Fairly sure there's pandcakes on that bunnies head.

Jonlem
03-08-13, 11:50 PM
2 things here, 1 no way does a stock (ish) xe make 175hp, 2- only trust wheel hp figures as flywheel figures are a guess.

Where and when did the UPG car make 330hp ? I was stood next to it when it made 244whp lol

Mieran
04-08-13, 12:24 AM
Last car of the day was a TDI Audi, they're 170 standard and it made 171

Its really quick for an XE, its even put me off putting my C20LET in

Stuart
04-08-13, 08:23 AM
I'd love to know where there is an actual correct rolling road, I'm sick of people saying that people's readings are inaccurate tbh.

Track and road in rainham Essex, and jams 2wd setup (not seen the results from their 4wd one)
That's it.

Mieran
04-08-13, 10:02 AM
This was done at Evotune, google them or have a look on MLR if you haven't heard about them.

John
04-08-13, 10:06 AM
i have seen these pictures before.... Sometimes the lines are higher.... sometimes they are lower.

Flol

burgo
04-08-13, 11:10 AM
It made that power at 5.5k rpm as well! Never!

burgo
04-08-13, 11:17 AM
Inlet temp 9 degrees higher than ambient! This video might explain the figures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhaqaninU3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

meritlover
04-08-13, 11:48 AM
that video misses one of the most obvious point.
Because the car isnt strapped down properly it creeps forward on acceleration and only drives one roller - which causes less rolling resistance.
As the car decelerates it rolls back down so during the run-down the dyno measures the rolling resistance of both rollers and which is more than double the losses of the acceleration run. This give horrendously exaggerated 'flywheel' figures. and inconsistent readings.

mowgli
04-08-13, 11:56 AM
there is no such thing as a 100% consistent rolling road.. there are too many variables, heat, humidity, tyres, transmission, before you even get to calibration.

i reckon you could get an engine dyno test cell to be pretty consistent though.

meritlover
04-08-13, 12:22 PM
i reckon you could get an engine dyno test cell to be pretty consistent though.

thats the ONLY way.

mowgli
04-08-13, 12:30 PM
david vizard (in his tuning A series engines book) reckoned the best way was to know the weight of the car & do a 1/4mile, then there was a sum he had to turn that into hp.

BRoadGhost
04-08-13, 02:01 PM
Since this Jonlem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH308P1eoEM

burgo
04-08-13, 02:15 PM
That engine went bang

Benn
04-08-13, 04:26 PM
that video misses one of the most obvious point.
Because the car isnt strapped down properly it creeps forward on acceleration and only drives one roller - which causes less rolling resistance.
As the car decelerates it rolls back down so during the run-down the dyno measures the rolling resistance of both rollers and which is more than double the losses of the acceleration run. This give horrendously exaggerated 'flywheel' figures. and inconsistent readings.

Glad you noticed that too.
After having a chat with a guy that builds cars as well as runs a RR, he said they've seen some of them not strap cars down as much to give a lower reading for the place would then "tune" the car, strap it down fully and you'll get better power.. There are so many ways to cheat this stuff....

mowgli
04-08-13, 05:50 PM
i always thought they pumped the tyres up to 50psi & ran it in a lower gear etc....

bazzap8389
04-08-13, 06:18 PM
So would a dyno that you remove the wheels and attach to the hubs be more accurate like Thor racing use?

mowgli
04-08-13, 06:25 PM
well, it removes the wheels/tyres/suspension from the equation

Andy
04-08-13, 08:16 PM
BS printouts are just pub BS ammo,get steaming,get ya dikk out then boast about numbers on a piece of paper.
What the cars can do impresses me far more than a piece of graph paper ever will.I take every !zomg it r med 450hp on a 1.3 sr!11!!!" with a dumper load of salt.......

Stuart
04-08-13, 09:09 PM
well, it removes the wheels/tyres/suspension from the equation

Suspension is still in the equation on that one.

John
04-08-13, 09:16 PM
Suspension is still in the equation on that one.

lol

Jonlem
04-08-13, 09:31 PM
Since this Jonlem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH308P1eoEM

Yes, we dynoed it with a new engine when they came over, all is explained in the TV feature :)

http://youtu.be/Chapevzmch0

mk1nova_rich
04-08-13, 10:37 PM
david vizard (in his tuning A series engines book) reckoned the best way was to know the weight of the car & do a 1/4mile, then there was a sum he had to turn that into hp.

I bet that was accurate then :wtf::wtf: far more variables than on a rolling road...utter bull****

meritlover
04-08-13, 10:47 PM
I bet that was accurate then :wtf::wtf: far more variables than on a rolling road...utter bull****

Well it worked pretty well for him.

meritlover
04-08-13, 10:47 PM
Double post

david dixon
05-08-13, 06:20 PM
no 2 RR's will read the same, I would say take no notice of any power figure!

Adam
05-08-13, 06:35 PM
Don't forget my standard-ish XE made 180hp on dyno dynamics rollers. No bull lol

Other cars on the day ran stock power too,.

Means nowt tbh. Roller days are just good for the banter.

Jonlem
05-08-13, 07:04 PM
no 2 RR's will read the same, I would say take no notice of any power figure!

A correctly setup DD should no matter where give the same power figures if the sane vehicle was run. Unfortunately very few operators have half an idea how to set them up.

If you want to look into a well run dyno look at Stewart Sandersons from Motorsport Developments in Blackpool

mowgli
05-08-13, 08:38 PM

knowing the weight of a car & its speed after 1/4 mile of acceleration would be a very good measure of performance, as opposed to max hp.

meritlover
05-08-13, 09:27 PM
Rich, do you even know who David Vizard is?

there are no reason why 2 chassis dynos cant give the same figure. The bottom line is that most dyno operators dont care. They should really if they are charging for power runs, but people do get a power run.... relative to nothing other than the cars that it was up against on the day.

what a dyno operator does care about is repeatability on his own rollers, on the same car, run after run.

If a car comes in reading 87 bananas on the rollers and does so after each run to within 1-2 hp at peak, he spends a couple hours and now has 175 bananas and its as good as he can possibly get then that's all that matters. When you win races you dont go around booting off about how many brakes you have.... you just win races.

the time it matters is when you are developing to sell 'catalogue hp kits' but most of these are done on engine dynos anyway which goes back to the earlier points made about them.

you can have an old ****ty analogue dyno which is relatively repeatable and tunes cars great, esp when you can see the power dip when you flash the lights or change the timing a degree in either direction. But don't expect it to give DIN/SAE HP figures lol lol.

_Jake
05-08-13, 10:02 PM
oh dear.......