PDA

View Full Version : Re-profiled cams

sr-rompa
30-07-13, 09:01 AM
Am re-profile cams worth buying any help would be ace as I'm not sure iv been told not to bother with them. Anybody run some before and had problems or still running some today. Many thanks arron

Nobby
30-07-13, 09:24 AM
Barlow ran autosprint ones seemed ok, there only in brum aswell google them.

sr-rompa
30-07-13, 10:01 AM
I know they am had few bits if him before just want some opinions like if its worth buying some or just get Kent cams or piper ones that haven't been re profiled

BRoadGhost
30-07-13, 10:18 AM
Kent and Piper both do re profiled camshafts. Be it these or machined from blanks; all that matters is they're fitted & run in correctly.

Done maybe ten thousand miles on re profiled camshafts and can only report good things.

faker
31-07-13, 12:15 PM
Am I right in thinking that a reprofiled cam reduces the ammount of lift (how much travel a valve opens for) and increases the duration ( length of time a valve stays open)?

Iain
31-07-13, 12:30 PM
I thought the hydraulic follower took up the gap as the lobe's base circle was machined down too allowing the same/higher lift?

BRoadGhost
31-07-13, 09:32 PM
You're not right in thinking that faker.

Machining down the lobe base wouldn't effect lift, but hydraulic followers do take up the gap.

philip
01-08-13, 09:53 AM
machine bottom of the lobe to essentially increase valve lift, what spec cams are you looking for? seen 2 sets of autosprints 305dur 11mm lift reprofiled cams snap. but also had the kent ast1612 cams and then stock cams in a tb;d engine and besides for maybe 6/8bhp peak the standard cams had more torque and power midrange than the 1612s. something to think about.

BRoadGhost
02-08-13, 09:50 PM
Guess I'm wrong then; always thought the cam tips were welded then reground for the +1MM lift.

Topmanbeny
03-08-13, 10:44 AM
i was going to buy a 290 degree reground camshaft 0ff autosprint next month , and now i dont know if its worth risking my money or my engine if you snap one , so has anyone here actually got a nova running atm with a set of autosprint re grinds ?

BRoadGhost
03-08-13, 07:54 PM
Sounds to me like you should call autosprint, explain what you've heard here, then ask about possible fitting and or warranty for peace of mind. Last thing you want to do is total half a twin cam engine for the sake of not buying cams machined from blanks.

tom reid
04-08-13, 08:42 AM
i was going to buy a 290 degree reground camshaft 0ff autosprint next month , and now i dont know if its worth risking my money or my engine if you snap one , so has anyone here actually got a nova running atm with a set of autosprint re grinds ?

You'll be fine on Autosprint cams, Iv'e used well over a hundred of his cams and never had an issue, I was using his 280 cams on the 1400 corsa sport until recently.
Cams generally break if the is too much of an undercut on the lobes or if they are fitted carelessly with solid buckets etc, Autosprint cams are no more or less likely to break than Piper or Kent reground cams, they are a lot cheaper though.

richz_nova
04-08-13, 12:04 PM
I run reprofiled autosprint cams, in my c20xe never had a problem with them mate. the guy Geoff is very helpful aswell knows his stuff.

mowgli
04-08-13, 12:34 PM
Guess I'm wrong then; always thought the cam tips were welded then reground for the +1MM lift.

ther physically isn't the room to keep sticking more metal on the end of a cam lobe.... it also vastly increases the load on everything.. the lift is measured as the difference from the end to the bottom of the profile.. so if the bottom (valve closed) is of a smaller radius, the lift is higher.

as previously stated, the follower, and lifter, takes up the slack, giving more valve opening.

BRoadGhost
04-08-13, 01:53 PM
Well you say that, but there are cams that give so much lift that the top of the head has to be machined just so they can rotate.