PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for my next upgrade for my c16xe, help please.. what have you done?

boyd_1989
27-07-13, 03:53 PM
Hello everyone, just wondering what to do next.
So any help or ideas which will be best for me would be much appreciated.

What ive got so far..

C16xe engine with F15cr
Power box inlet
8v light flywheel
4-1 exhaust manifold with a magnex 2.25 system
Superchip, the proper one from the company Superchips (or whatever their called lol)

Thanks for looking.
Craig.

John
27-07-13, 04:32 PM
cams/headwork/xe/let :)

boyd_1989
27-07-13, 06:01 PM
cams/headwork/xe/let :)

Cams definitely, headwork maybe just need to find someone who does it. And its a NO to a xe / let lol. Smallblock all the way!

deneil_gsi2000
28-07-13, 12:10 PM
From experience.... go bigger lol

meritlover
28-07-13, 12:18 PM
stand alone management and ITBs

dgbnova#1
28-07-13, 12:33 PM
Philip on here can sort your head work out for you if you get a spare head even better as no need to strip ures and have a dead car sitting there plus cams then ure looking at carbs or tbs for more power.

blue_peg_16v
28-07-13, 02:35 PM
Throttlebodies

Adam
28-07-13, 05:05 PM
Decent cams means you're going have to rev it a lot more. What's your rev limit ?

GDN16v
28-07-13, 05:37 PM
Stand alone engine management ;)

mk1nova_rich
28-07-13, 05:38 PM
Just get some headwork done and fit some ITBs if you can afford...personally I'd sacrifice the extra bhp gains of sone uprated cams to retain the midrange torque and driveability of the stock cams. Maybe go for a slightly peakier inlet cam afterwards if you still want a bit more poke

therealnovaboy
28-07-13, 07:50 PM
stand alone management and 4.18 final drive and LSD.

Southie
28-07-13, 07:53 PM
I'd just give the engine a good service and enjoy it, don't spend loads of money modding anymore unless your willing to spend mega money.

boyd_1989
29-07-13, 12:09 AM
Thanks for comments, to start with im going to be sticking to small block so not changing engines just yet lol. ive only just fitted the superchip and haven't had the chance to test it yet so unsure if its altered my rev limit or not, if not then its still at 6500rpm or whatever c16xe's are as standard. ill be interested in cams and an f15 with lsd if anyone knows of any going? what would you advise doing if I did cam it? also is it worth putting on a fpr? or is standard good enough?

philip
29-07-13, 12:41 AM
What's budget? Can supply any parts needed from porting, springs, retainers, etc. To get a 16xe to breathe you ideally need head port boring then finished off by hand(currently doing a 14xe at moment). Camwise standards have been rumoured to be good to 7.5k. Found that on the 20xe the basic 'fast road' cam gain maybe 7/8bhp peak but lose more mid range and torque than standard cams to the rev limit, so unless plan on pocketeing pistons and running something more aggressive with standalone ecu(superchip may just support a higher lift cam) then stay with standard for now. Carbs or tbs are the way to really get these engines screaming and also a decent ex mani + system such as tony law. If haven't got them already I'd fit arp rod bolts as I was sure the superchip rev limit was near 7.5k. And standard bolts are pretty poor at higher revs.

jeremy fisher
29-07-13, 06:44 PM
Another vote for 4.18 final drive. Made a huge difference to mine, probably the best gains for the money, not great on the motorway though. LSD also transforms the drive. Neither of these are any good for pub numbers though!

boyd_1989
29-07-13, 06:49 PM
I need some ARP rod bolts if anyone can help? My budget isn't too much so it'll be one mod at a time. The 4.18final drive, whats that out of? I have a f15cr box at the moment but not sure what the final drive is on that.

philip
29-07-13, 07:17 PM
Will get price tomoz for you matey.

boyd_1989
29-07-13, 07:27 PM
Will get price tomoz for you matey.

Thanks, are they a direct replacement or is there anything that needs to be done?

therealnovaboy
29-07-13, 07:36 PM
The 4.18final drive, whats that out of? I have a f15cr box at the moment but not sure what the final drive is on that.

Its out of a nova SR box I think. if you look in the back of the haynes itll tell you all the models. You have to get the final drive and put it in an F15CR or F13CR box. I think the F15CR has a 3.94 FD

Its not a big job but bare in mind that the top speed will be about 115mph depending on your rev limit and do about 4500rpm at 70 mph. worth concidering how its used.

If you want it faster for point to point driving this is the cheapest mod youll get. I had the same setup on my corsa sport without the chip. It was brilliant to drive. I never fitted a cam and to be quite honest I wouldnt because of the torque it made and the way it delivered it was what made it so fun to drive. I wish i had a shorter final drive and LSD in mine because with the torque it had you could pull yourself out of danger/ corners regardless of what the back end was doing. My car always felt lazy but was quick, which i think that was due to the final drive.

Another good mod is to get decent shocks with height and rebound adjustment. Because the corsa is so much heavier than the nova at the back, at least then you can make the back end a bit lighter. Although with a LSD you might not need it much lighter.

philip
29-07-13, 07:37 PM
Chamfer the cap 1mm, and assemble

boyd_1989
29-07-13, 08:15 PM
Its out of a nova SR box I think. if you look in the back of the haynes itll tell you all the models. You have to get the final drive and put it in an F15CR or F13CR box. I think the F15CR has a 3.94 FD

Its not a big job but bare in mind that the top speed will be about 115mph depending on your rev limit and do about 4500rpm at 70 mph. worth concidering how its used.

If you want it faster for point to point driving this is the cheapest mod youll get. I had the same setup on my corsa sport without the chip. It was brilliant to drive. I never fitted a cam and to be quite honest I wouldnt because of the torque it made and the way it delivered it was what made it so fun to drive. I wish i had a shorter final drive and LSD in mine because with the torque it had you could pull yourself out of danger/ corners regardless of what the back end was doing. My car always felt lazy but was quick, which i think that was due to the final drive.

Another good mod is to get decent shocks with height and rebound adjustment. Because the corsa is so much heavier than the nova at the back, at least then you can make the back end a bit lighter. Although with a LSD you might not need it much lighter.

Ill look into it, thanks. I definitely after an lsd though

boyd_1989
29-07-13, 08:16 PM
Chamfer the cap 1mm, and assemble

How do I do that / what is it? Don't want to sound stupid but I don't know lol

_Jake
29-07-13, 08:58 PM

Some F15s cant have the final drive replaced as the pinion isnt removable from the cluster like one from a nova gte for example, as i found out when i bought a corsa gsi box! obvious solution is to put a f13 cluster in with the 4.18cwp like i tried too, but a bearing needs to be changed (cant remember which shaft it supports) as annoyingly its only about 1mm bigger iirc.

peester
29-07-13, 09:03 PM
http://billfalconer.webs.com/
Give this man a call. Nice chap, good advice. Knows his onions.

mk1nova_rich
29-07-13, 09:38 PM
How do I do that / what is it? Don't want to sound stupid but I don't know lol

Use a de-burring/countersinking tool on the holes in the conrod bearing caps to apply an internal chamfer/taper. The bolts are around £65-70 for the set including assembly lube. Give ebay a search first...I got mine for £40 brand new.

They are the same as smallblock 8 valve bolts by the way :)

Id keep the 3.94 FD...a 4.18 would make it totally unuseable for any mileage. Back roads would be fun but motorway driving would be a nightmare. A proper LSD would be great if you can afford though

boyd_1989
29-07-13, 09:59 PM
Thanks Rich.. Are them arp's definitely fit my c16xe? Also thanks for the information about fitting. And yeah I was thinking the same about my FD.. Also LSD for my f15 how much am I looking at paying? Brand new or second hand? Thanks

philip
29-07-13, 10:26 PM
keep an eye on 'britishrally' forum, or 'eurorallye' iirc, always 2nd hanbd boxes/difs coming up save yourself a few quid, i dont think be much difference in price between small block snd big block so app £525 new for an atb diff.

boyd_1989
29-07-13, 10:50 PM
keep an eye on 'britishrally' forum, or 'eurorallye' iirc, always 2nd hanbd boxes/difs coming up save yourself a few quid, i dont think be much difference in price between small block snd big block so app £525 new for an atb diff.

do you have any links to them please mate?

philip
30-07-13, 08:02 AM
http://www.britishrally.co.uk/classifieds.php?sid=000942ff5a69a22782baf3918c9c20 e8

http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/

boyd_1989
30-07-13, 02:39 PM
http://www.britishrally.co.uk/classifieds.php?sid=000942ff5a69a22782baf3918c9c20 e8

http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/

thanks, ill take a look later on