PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE (E16SE) Idling Problem

ab2cv
22-07-13, 11:30 AM
Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere. I've had a search and can't find anything on the subject.

I have a standard GTE (with E16SE engine). It starts and runs perfectly, except when it gets hot, the engine idle speed drops, then starts to misfire and if I don't hold it on the throttle, cuts out. The recent hot weather appears to have made this issue apparent as it's only recently started happening.

I suspect it is a sensor but wanted to find the engine diagnostic plug (following a thread I found on topbuzz) but cannot find it, which leads me to believe not all GTE's have this plug fitted. Is there another way of shorting two wires to get the diagnostic lights to flash?

In terms of troubleshooting, so far I have replaced the fuel pump relay and the coil. I have also removed the bosch air flow control unit and checked the flap is moving freely.

I suspect it is either a temperature sensor or maybe throttle position sensor or crank sensor but before I start spending money replacing everything one at a time I hoped there would be a way of diagnosing the fault properly.

Any advice appreciated.

Alan

ab2cv
23-07-13, 11:59 AM
In the absense of proper diagnosis I am thinking that the most obvious thing to try swapping out are the engine and coolant temp sensors.

Does anybody know the best palce to source these parts brand new? I'm not having any luck with the usual places.

bazil
23-07-13, 12:40 PM
The plug on the bulkhead with the blue end is the diagnostic plug on my E16, sorry I can't be more help :(

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/a22.jpg

ab2cv
23-07-13, 12:51 PM
Thanks - that's helpful - in that it tells me I'm looking in the right place. Must just be that my car doesn't have the connector. I've got the fuel pump relay (top left in your pic) and I've got the other big black connector (just up from your coasting valve), but no blue plug!

bazil
23-07-13, 01:10 PM
My engine is a late E16 and has the Siemens ECU you must have the Bosch ECU then,

You mentioned crank sensor in your first post, these engines don't have one or a cam sensor, the dizzy uses Hall effect in the dizzy for timing,

ab2cv
23-07-13, 01:26 PM
My engine is a late E16 and has the Siemens ECU you must have the Bosch ECU then,

You mentioned crank sensor in your first post, these engines don't have one or a cam sensor, the dizzy uses Hall effect in the dizzy for timing,

Spot on - mine is the Bosch Jetronic L3. (My previous Nova was a GSi so that's why I'm probably getting confused!). Temp sensor seems most likely - do you know if these parts are the same on a E16SE and C16SE?

bazil
23-07-13, 01:33 PM
I can't say for sure but I would imagine they would be the same?

Andy
23-07-13, 10:20 PM
I should think so too,after all,its just a temperature variable resistor

mowgli
24-07-13, 09:46 AM
There is a mixture screw on the afm ecu. It sounds like your engine is set a bit lean or possibly the timing is a touch out, as if it was tuned/set when not up to temp. So that when normal temp is reached, its out of adjustment.

meritlover
24-07-13, 10:15 AM
^ yes

check all the vac hoses there are some idle-up temp switches on the back of the manifold which could give similar issues if there were split lines or hoses fallen off.
You really need a gas analyser to set it up properly and to see exactly what is going on first as you can cover up another issue by adjusting the CO screw. There is also a bypass screw on the TB for setting up the idle speed. These screws need to be set up together.

ab2cv
24-07-13, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into these things over the weekend. To be honest, the car has always idled a little bit low (even when it was running fine) so it could just be the basic setup/timing that needs adjusting. I'll also check none of the hoses have come off as i did replace the coolant hoses and could have nudged something else in the process.