PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises after removing and refitting backbox

ellis_12345
22-07-13, 12:36 AM
i have a completely standard j reg 1.2 nova merit, only 27,000 on the clock, minimal rust (just thought i'd put that out there ;))

anyway, cut a long story short, i took my backbox off yesterday, refitted it and when i started the engine there was an abnormally loud clunk. i thought nothing of it as its 20 years old and a bit clunky here and there anyway but as i pulled off it sounded like the gearbox is grinding and making a loud clunking noise, this also happens everytime i turn right... surely it would be something to do with the exhaust as i haven't touched the gearbox but i can feel it through the gearstick. completely stumped, not sure if anyone has had anything like this happen before or if im just incompetent at doing something as simple as refitting a backbox, resulting in some strange noises.

help.

therealnovaboy
22-07-13, 04:31 AM
first thing to check would be if the exhaust is on correct.

It might be the centre section has come off the rubbers and is floating about a bit.

A nova with minimal rust could be classed as anything from rusty head bolts to no tow hooks, arches and no bottom half of the doors.

Iain
22-07-13, 09:07 AM
As above check the centre mounts. Also rotation of the back box can affect where the rest of the system sits in relation to the body, fuel tank and gear stick mechanism.

meritlover
22-07-13, 02:45 PM
A nova with minimal rust could be classed as anything from rusty head bolts to no tow hooks......

You are wrong. A dog can remove even the most solid of tow hooks if hit at the right speed.

ellis_12345
22-07-13, 09:57 PM
sorted. it was just the rotation of the backbox. cheers guys